ORLANDO, Fla. – Bucknell women’s tennis concluded its spring break trip to Florida with a 5-2 loss to LIU Brooklyn on Thursday. Junior Lisa Jouravleva improved to 4-0 during the spring with her second win in as many days.
The Blackbirds improved to 5-3 with a second consecutive victory. The Bison are still two matches above .500 at 6-4.
Bucknell jumped out to a 1-0 lead after taking the top two doubles contests. Lauren Fishbein and Michele Urbinati were 6-4 winners on court one while, Jouravleva teamed with Emilie Bush for a 6-2 triumph on court two.
Jouravleva was the lone singles winner for the Bison, prevailing in dramatic fashion. She took the first set against Jennifer Gogova 6-4, but the LIU freshman tied it with a 6-2 win in set two. The players battled to a tiebreaker in the third set before Jouravleva pulled out the win 7-6 (8-6).
“This was another solid effort against a very good team,” Bucknell head coach Rebecca Helt said. “I was especially pleased with our doubles play on all three courts. We should be able to put that doubles point on the board regularly. We played strong in singles but LIU was just a little more consistent. It's great to have Lisa back healthy and I expect her to play that top spot soon.”
Bucknell returns to action with a match against Mount St. Mary’s at the Hershey Racquet Club on Monday at 2 p.m.
LIU Brooklyn 5, Bucknell 2
1. Lauren Fishbein/Michele Urbinati (BUCK) def. Malin Leysen/Jennifer Gogova (LIU), 6-4
2. Lisa Jouravleva/Emilie Bush (BUCK) def. Sasha Bollweg/Isabella Wagener (LIU), 6-2
3. Anna Grigoryan/Ana Leonte (LIU) def. Danielle Gannon/Melissa Parks (BUCK), 6-0
1. Anna Grigoryan (LIU) def. Lauren Fishbein (BUCK), 6-0, 6-1
2. Sasha Bollweg (LIU) def. Michele Urbinati (BUCK), 6-3, 6-3
3. Lisa Jouravleva (BUCK) def. Jennifer Gogova (LIU), 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Malin Leysen (LIU) def. Madeline Melch (BUCK), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Ana Leonte (LIU) def. Paige Leavy (BUCK), 7-6 (4), 7-6 (5)
6. Isabella Wagener (LIU) def. Mishi Papich (BUCK), 6-3, 6-2