LEWISBURG, Pa. – Six different Bison won individual events and Bucknell had runner-up showings in eight of the 11 events contested as the Bison women’s swimming and diving team closed out its home schedule Sunday afternoon with a 152-91 victory over non-league foe Binghamton at Kinney Natatorium. It was the second win of the weekend for Bucknell (7-2, 5-0 PL), which defeated Patriot League opponent Army on Saturday.
Bucknell had just one more first-place finish than Binghamton, but the Bison swept the top three spots in the 100 free, 200 free and 200 fly and used the eight second-place showings to cement the 61-point victory.
Senior Kristen Purdy (200 fly), juniors Stephanie Koziol (500 free) and Lauren Perry (200 free), sophomore Emma Levendoski (200 back) and freshmen Amber McDonnell (200 IM) and Rachel McGoff (100 free) collected the Bison victories on Sunday.
Perry led a 1-through-4 Bucknell sweep in the 200 free, beating out runner-up teammate Kelly Pontecorvo, who usually swims longer distances, by nearly three seconds. Paige Daniel and Leanne Archer touched the wall third and fourth, respectively. Perry was also part of a 1-through-3 Bison sweep in the 100 free, finishing behind McGoff and Kaitlyn Utkewicz. Coming off her first career Patriot League Swimmer of the Week honor, Utkewicz also finished second in the 50 free, topping all Bucknell swimmers.
Purdy, Koziol and Diana Hanson went one-two-three in the 200 fly with Purdy finishing 3.27 ahead of her teammate.
Levendoski won the 200 back by an impressive 6.79 seconds over her closest competitor. McDonnell was third in the race.
Levendoski swam the leadoff leg of both of the Bison’s top relays, which both finished second. She teamed with Hanson, Purdy and McGoff on the runner-up 400 medley relay and with Perry, Emily Wright and Utkewicz on the 200 free relay that capped the meet.
Prior to Sunday’s meet seniors Melissa Besman, Jennifer Brennan, Pontecorvo, Purdy, Alyssa Rollando, Utkewicz and Wright were honored during Senior Day ceremonies. Additionally, men’s seniors Matt Hadley, Edward Jew, Mike Nicholson, Trevor Reitz and Daniel Wallace were recognized.
Bucknell will travel to Lehigh Saturday, Jan. 25, for its final dual meet of the regular season. Start time is 1 p.m.
1. Katie Hetherington (Bucknell) - 248.48
2. Tara Boyle (Bucknell) - 236.85
3. Tori Molchany (Bucknell) - 227.93
4. Lara Curtis (Bucknell) - 210.60
5. Kimberly Robertson (Binghamton) - 206.40
6. Bettina Hughes (Binghamton) - 200.33
7. Kathleen Ellsworth (Binghamton) - 177.83
8. Mariele Saunders-Shultz (Bucknell) - 177.38
1. Katie Hetherington (Bucknell) - 264.83
2. Tara Boyle (Bucknell) - 245.63
3. Tori Molchany (Bucknell) - 232.43
4. Lara Curtis (Bucknell) - 199.88
5. Kimberly Robertson (Binghamton) - 193.35
6. Bettine Hughes (Binghamton) - 182.70
7. Mariele Saunders-Shultz (Bucknell) - 163.95
8. Kathleen Ellsworth (Binghamton) - 139.73