SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. -- Elena Vidrascu and Maria Cioffi both went 2-0 on the day at the top of the lineup and freshman Jorie Fox earned at win at No. 6 singles, but Saint Francis (Pa.) prevailed in the other matches and defeated the Bison 4-3 on Saturday in a dual match at the indoor West Branch Tennis Club.
Cioffi, playing on familiar courts back in her hometown, teamed with Vidrascu for a 6-3 win at No. 1 doubles, and was also a straight-set winner over Lucy Jasso at No. 2 singles. Vidrascu came from behind to defeat Rafaela Panizza 1-6, 6-3 (10-7) at No. 1 singles. Fox was victorious over Brittini Jentz by injury default.
The Red Flash won at No. 2 and 3 doubles to claim the doubles point, and Shivani Patel, Alex Sachs and Danielle Gryckiewicz closed it out with wins at 3-5 singles.
"Saint Francis definitely executed better on most courts," said head coach Rebecca Helt. "We played a little tight. Maria and Elena continue to work hard at the top of the lineup. We can win at the top spots, and we have a lot of depth, so it'll just be a matter of finding the lineup that clicks when we get to mid-season."
Bucknell returns to action on Feb. 28 at Coppin State at 2 p.m.
1. Elena Vidrascu (B) def. Rafaela Panizza, 1-6, 6-3 (10-7)
2. Maria Cioffi (B) def. Lucy Jasso, 6-2, 6-1
3. Shivani Patel (SF) def. Lydia Colvin, 6-4, 6-2
4. Alex Sachs (SF) def. Michele Urbinati, 7-5, 6-3
5. Danielle Gryckiewicz (SF) def. Stephanie Pino, 6-1, 6-1
6. Jorie Fox (B) def. Brittini Jentz, injury default