UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The Bucknell men’s tennis team took on a formidable opponent on Saturday, dropping a 7-0 decision to No. 58 Penn State at the school’s Indoor Tennis Center. The Bison dropped to 0-2 in the young season with the loss, while the Nittany Lions improved to a perfect 6-0 with the win.
The Nittany Lions swept all three doubles matches to open the competition, grabbing the point from the Bison. Sophomore Nick Bybel and junior Octavio Canibe were defeated 8-2 at the top spot, while senior Aidan Lynch and freshman Bryan Adams dropped an 8-3 decision at No. 2 doubles. Junior Jonathan DeFrancesch and senior Scott Bernstein put up one of the toughest fights of the day, but were ultimately defeated 8-6.
Penn State did not lose a set in the singles portion of the match, taking all six points and the victory. Some of the closer battles of the outing were at the No. 3 and No. 4 spots. Canibe squared off against Alex Fennell, falling 6-1, 6-2, while senior Kyle Rosen was defeated by Roman Trkulja, 6-2, 6-1.
Bucknell’s match with St. Peter’s that was scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 9 has been cancelled, giving the Bison a week before they take to the courts again for two matches at Queens College on Saturday, Feb. 15. The team will square off against Fordham at 2:30 p.m. before taking on Queens at 7 p.m.
1. Leonard Stakhovsky/Russell Bader (P) def. Nick Bybel/Octavio Canibe (B), 8-2
2. Michael Reilly/Chris Young (p) def. Aidan Lynch/Bryan Adams (B), 8-3
3. Ramy Labna/Nika Dolidze (P) def. Jonathan DeFrancesch/Scott Bernstein (B), 8-6
1. Leonard Stakhovsky (P) def. Nick Bybel (B), 6-0, 6-1
2. Russell Bader (P) def. Aidan Lynch (B), 6-0, 6-0
3. Alex Fennell (P) def. Octavio Canibe (B), 6-1, 6-2
4. Roman Trkulja (P) def. Kyle Rosen (B), 6-2, 6-1
5. Matt Barry (P) def. Bryan Adams (B), 6-1, 6-1
6. Marc Collado Castells (P) def. Jordan Lieb (B), 6-0, 6-0