HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. – The Bucknell men’s tennis team took to the outdoor courts for the first time this season on Tuesday morning, falling 5-2 to South Carolina State at Chaplin Park in Hilton Head Island, S.C. Sophomore Nick Bybel and senior Kyle Rosen each earned victories in singles play, increasing their standing on the program’s all-time victories list, as the Bison fell to 0-7 in the season. The Bulldogs improved to 5-4 with the victory.
“We played a tough SCSU team and battled until the end,” said interim head men’s tennis coach Craig Schwartz. “We were happy to get wins at the No. 1 and No. 4 spots, and are looking forward to getting back out on the court tomorrow.”
All three of Bucknell’s doubles pairings put up valiant fights, but South Carolina State claimed the point with wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles. Bybel and senior Aidan Lynch dropped an 8-4 decision to Jiri Stiburek and Martin Kobza at the No. 1 spot, while juniors Octavio Canibe and Jonathan DeFrancesch fell to Stanislav Baco and Soufiane Mouline by a score of 8-1. Seniors Scott Bernstein and Chris Tortora trailed 7-4 in their match when the Bulldogs claimed the doubles point.
Each of the six singles matches were decided in straight sets, with Bybel and Rosen coming out on top for Bucknell. Bybel defeated Stiburek, 6-1 and 6-4, improving his overall singles record to 16-8, which ranks him 25th on the program’s list of single-season victories. The win also moves him into 23rd in all-time singles wins (38-17) and 32nd in all-time victories (65-35).
Rosen’s triumph came at the No. 4 spot, and the senior played to 7-5, 6-3 win over Mouline. Rosen currently ranks 17th in all-time singles victories with a 47-50 record, and Tuesday’s win moves him into 27th on the all-time victories list (69-75).
The Bison will return to the court on Wednesday morning for another match in Hilton Head Island, S.C., taking on George Mason at 8 a.m.
South Carolina State 5, Bucknell 2
1. Jiri Stiburek/Martin Kobza (S) def. Nick Bybel/Aidan Lynch (B), 8-4
2. Daniel Vala/Martin Figura (S) led Chris Tortora/Scott Bernstein (B), 7-4, DNF – point awarded
3. Stanislav Baco/Soufiane Mouline (S) def. Octavio Canibe/Jonathan DeFrancesch (B), 8-1
1. Nick Bybel (B) def. Jiri Stiburek (S), 6-1, 6-4
2. Martin Kobza (S) def. Aidan Lynch (B), 6-1, 6-2
3. Stanislav Baco (S) def. Octavio Canibe (B), 6-1, 6-3
4. Kyle Rosen (B) def. Soufiane Mouline (S), 7-5, 6-3
5. Daniel Vala (S) def. Irwin Reibeisen (B), 7-6 (1), 6-0
6. Martin Figura (S) def. Jonathan DeFrancesch (B), 6-1, 6-0