CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- No. 5/6 North Carolina showed off one of the nation's most powerful offenses on Tuesday, breaking open a 6-2 game at the half with seven goals in the third quarter and seven more in the fourth in a 20-4 win over visiting Bucknell on Tuesday at warm and sunny Fetzer Field. 

David Dickson scored two goals and Sean Doyle had a goal and an assist for the Bison (2-4), who were locked up in a 2-2 game late in the first period before the Tar Heels (5-1) took advantage of some Bucknell penalties to open up some breathing room. 

Bucknell won the opening faceoff and scored just 1:47 into the contest on a beautiful shot by Doyle coming from behind the goal. Spencer Parks scored a man-up goal just over five minutes later to tie it, and Michael Tagliaferri scored with a lefty runner midway through the period to give North Carolina its first lead.

But a big save by Sam Grinberg and ground ball by Jackson Place led to an equalizing goal by Kyle Shanahan with 5:35 left in the quarter. Shanahan was parked on the crease when he took a pass from Doyle behind the cage and shot past Kieran Burke.

Jimmy Bitter broke the tie with a shot from close range, and then back-to-back EMO goals from Like Goldstock gave the Tar Heels a 5-2 lead. Patrick Kelly's tally with 1:20 left in the half made it 6-2 at intermission.

North Carolina then scored five times in the first 4:32 of the second half before the Bison even had a settled possession. Dickson scored a pair of unassisted goals in the third quarter to extend his scoring streak to 33 games, the ninth-longest in the nation, but the Tar Heels were firing on all cylinders in the second half.

North Carolina came in as the second-highest scoring team in the country, and the Tar Heels became the first team to record 20 goals against Bucknell since Virginia did it in a 27-5 win on Apr. 25, 1998. 


Goldstock, Kelly and Joey Sankey all recorded hat tricks for North Carolina, and Sankey and Pat Foster handed out three assists apiece. The Tar Heels won 18 of the 27 faceoffs, leading to a 57-28 shot advantage and a 52-19 edge in ground balls.

Grinberg was outstanding early on and had 10 saves by halftime. He finished with 12 saves, and reserve goalies Frank Morelli and Jake Kennedy also saw action. Burke stopped 12 shots and backup Duncan Saunders two for UNC.

Place led the Bison with five ground balls and two caused turnovers.

Bucknell will be back in action on Saturday at Holy Cross at noon on the Patriot League Network.