EMMITSBURG, Md. – The Bucknell men’s tennis team won four of the six singles matches contested on Thursday afternoon, propelling the squad to a 4-3 victory over Mount St. Mary’s on the MSM Tennis Courts. Sophomore Nick Bybel was 2-0 on the day, combining with senior Aidan Lynch to win at No. 1 doubles and cruising to victory at the top singles spot, helping the Bison, who are 1-0 in Patriot League play, improve to 2-9 overall. The Mount dropped to 8-8 on the season with the defeat.
“Irwin clinched the match for us on a very cold and windy day,” said interim head coach Craig Schwartz. “This was the most complete match we played this year, and I am very proud of the guys for rebounding after losing the doubles point.”
While Bybel and Lynch took an 8-5 victory over Adam Salam and Mateo DeSomocurcio at the top spot, Mount St. Mary’s claimed wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to earn the point. Junior Jonathan DeFrancesch and senior Chris Tortora were defeated by a score of 8-3 at No. 2 doubles, while junior Octavio Canibe and senior Scott Bernstein dropped an identical decision in the third match.
The Bison made quick work of the Mount in singles play however, rallying back to win the match with four points. Bybel defeated Salem 6-1, 6-1 in their one-on-one battle, while freshman Bryan Adams fought to a 7-6, 6-4 win over DeSomocurcio at No. 3 singles. Canibe claimed another point, outlasting Mike Zabetakis to take a 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 win at the fourth spot, and senior Irwin Reibeisen clinched the team’s victory with a 6-3, 7-6 triumph in the No. 6 match.
The Bison, who earned a 6-1 win over Loyola in their conference opener, resume Patriot League play on Saturday with a 12 p.m. match against the Navy Midshipmen on the Bucknell Tennis Courts.
1. Nick Bybel/Aidan Lynch (B) def. Adam Salam/Mateo DeSomocurcio (MSM), 8-5
2. Austin Blake/Mike Zabetakis (MSM) def. Jonathan DeFrancesch /Chris Tortora (B), 8-3
3. Darren Mast/Louis Tonon (MSM) def. Octavio Canibe/Scott Bernstein (B), 8-3
1. Nick Bybel (B) def. Adam Salem (MSM), 6-1, 6-1
2. Austin Blake (MSM) def. Aidan Lynch (B), 6-3, 6-1
3. Bryan Adams (B) def. Mateo DeSomocurcio (MSM), 7-6, 6-4
4. Octavio Canibe (B) def. Mike Zabetakis (MSM), 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
5. Darren Mast (MSM) def. Kyle Rosen (B), 2-6, 6-3, 10-5
6. Irwin Reibeisen (B) def. Louis Tonon (MSM), 6-3, 7-6