WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. – The Bucknell women’s tennis team gave Navy all that it could handle on Sunday afternoon, but dropped a 4-3 decision in an extremely tight match at West Branch Tennis Club in Williamsport, Pa. The Bison, who earned all three of their points in singles play, dropped to 3-5 overall and 1-1 in Patriot League action with the defeat, while the Mids, who won their third straight match, improved to 17-6 overall and 2-0 in the conference.
All three of Bucknell’s doubles pairings put up tough fights, but Navy claimed the point with wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles. Senior Elena Vidrascu and sophomore Maria Cioffi dropped an 8-4 decision to Noelle Kaufmann and Mikaela Carlson at the No. 1 spot, while sophomore Stephanie Pino and junior Alyssa McAndrew fell to Darien Sears and Sam Droop by an identical score. Freshman Michele Urbinati and junior Lydia Colvin were victorious in doubles play, taking an 8-1 win over Erin Snook and Katie Porter, but the Mids still escaped that portion of the competition with the 1-0 lead.
Navy extended its lead to 2-0 with a win at No. 1 singles, but Cioffi took a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Sears at the No. 2 spot to make it a one-point match. In spite of a valiant effort by Urbinati at the fourth spot, the Mids usurped the Bison in the No. 3 and No. 4 matches to clinch the team victory. Bucknell still had plenty of fight left however, taking hard-fought wins in the finals two matches. Pino grabbed a 6-4, 0-6, 1-0 (11-9) win over Logan Antill at No. 5 singles, while freshman Jorie Fox concluded a strong team showing with a 2-6, 7-6, 1-0 (13-11) victory over Noelle Kaufmann at the sixth spot.
The squad will return to the court on Tuesday afternoon for a non-league match, traveling to Villanova, Pa. to take on the Wildcats at 2:30 p.m.
Navy 4, Bucknell 3
1. Noelle Kaufmann / Mikaela Carlson (N) def. Elena Vidrascu / Maria Cioffi (B), 8-4
2. Lydia Colvin / Michele Urbinati (B) def. Erin Snook / Katie Porter (N), 8-1
3. Darien Sears / Sam Droop (N) def. Stephanie Pino / Alyssa McAndrew (B), 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Erin Snook (N) def. Elena Vidrascu (B), 6-1, 6-2
2. Maria Cioffi (B) def. Darien Sears (N), 6-3, 6-3
3. Sam Droop (N) def. Lydia Colvin (B), 6-2, 5-7, 6-3
4. Gabby Winter (N) def. Michele Urbinati (B), 7-6, 6-7, 6-1
5. Stephanie Pino (B) def. Logan Antill (N), 6-4, 0-6, 1-0 (11-9)
6. Jorie Fox (B) def. Noelle Kaufmann (N), 2-6, 7-6, 1-0 (13-11)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6