VILLANOVA Pa. – The Bucknell men’s tennis team lost a heartbreaker on Monday afternoon, dropping a 4-3 decision to Villanova at the school’s tennis complex. The Bison swept all three doubles matches, but the strong singles play of the Wildcats lifted the team victory just out of reach. Bucknell, which is 1-1 in Patriot League play, fell to 2-11 with the loss, while Villanova improved to 2-12 overall with the win.
The Bison turned in a commanding performance in the doubles portion of the competition, sweeping all three matches to take the point. Seniors Scott Bernstein and Chris Tortora earned the first win of the day, an 8-6 victory over Tim Abbracciamentio and Bradley Noyes at No. 2 doubles, and the duo of junior Octavio Canibe and freshman Bryan Adams combined to defeat Michael Rosengren and Matt Colonnese by a score of 8-4 at the No. 3 spot. The top pairing of sophomore Nick Bybel and senior Aidan Lynch rounded out the trio of victories with their 8-6 triumph over Thomas O’Brien and Kelly Donaldson.
Bybel extended Bucknell’s lead to 2-0 with his third consecutive win at No. 1 singles, trumping Mark Miller 6-1, 6-0, but Villanova rallied back, winning at the fourth and fifth spot to tie the match. Adams came through with a clutch, 6-4, 6-3 victory over Noyes at No. 3 singles to put the Bison back on top, but a Wildcat win at No. 6 singles brought the team win down to the No. 2 match. Lynch battled Donaldson point-for-point, taking a win in the first set, but ultimately fell 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, giving Villanova the narrowest of victories.
“There were certainly a lot of positives to take away from today,” commented Adams after the match. “We won all three doubles matches for the first time this year, and that gives us a lot of momentum going into a big Patriot League weekend.”
Bucknell will spend the rest of the week preparing those two conference matches, as the Bison are set to welcome both Colgate and Boston University to the Bucknell Tennis Courts this weekend. The squad will take on the Raiders at 1 p.m. on Saturday before squaring off against the Terriers at 11 a.m. on Sunday.
1. Nick Bybel/Aidan Lynch (B) def. Thomas O’Brien/Kelly Donaldson (V), 8-6
2. Scott Bernstein/Chris Tortora (B) def. Tim Abbracciamento/Bradley Noyes (V), 8-6
3. Octavio Canibe/Bryan Adams (B) def. Michael Rosengren/Matt Colonnese (V), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Nick Bybel (B) def. Mark Miller (V), 6-1, 6-0
2. Kelly Donaldson (V) def. Aidan Lynch (B), 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Bryan Adams (B) def. Bradley Noyes (V), 6-4, 6-3
4. Ryan Peyton (V) def. Octavio Canibe (B), 6-1, 6-2
5. Tim Abbracciamento (V) def. Kyle Rosen (B), 6-4, 6-3
6. Michael Rosengren (V) def. Irwin Reibeisen (B), 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1. 4, 5, 3, 6, 2