TOWSON, Md. – The Bucknell women’s tennis team was unable to overcome a strong Towson squad on Wednesday afternoon, falling by a score of 5-2 on the Towson Center Tennis Courts. The Bison, who are 1-1 in Patriot League play, earned wins at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, but the depth in the Tigers’ lineup enabled them to win their third straight match and improve to 10-6 overall. Bucknell fell to 4-6 with the defeat.
Towson swept all three double matches to earn the point, but senior Elena Vidrascu and sophomore Maria Cioffi were defeated by the slimmest of margins in the No. 1 match, falling 8-7 in the tiebreaker. Sophie Lesage and Nisha Shah defeated junior Lydia Colvin and freshman Michele Urbinati by a score of 8-5, and the No. 3 pairing of sophomore Stephanie Pino and junior Alyssa McAndrew dropped an 8-2 decision to conclude doubles play.
While the Tigers earned wins in the final four singles matches, it was the Bison that came out on top in the No. 1 and No. 2 spots, led by Cioffi’s 6-0, 6-1 win over Ayana Dow in the second match. The sophomore has now won five straight matches and holds a 7-2 record at No. 2 singles. Vidrascu was also victorious at the top spot, battling to a 6-2, 2-6, 6-2 triumph over Nani Lizana.
The Bison will return to Patriot League action this weekend, welcoming Colgate to the Bucknell Tennis Courts for a 9 a.m. match on Saturday.
1. Nani Lizana/Ariel Burke (T) def. Elena Vidrascu/Maria Cioffi (B) 8-7
2. Sophie Lesage/Nisha Shah (T) def. Lydia Colvin/Michele Urbinati (B) 8-5
3. Lorena Ferrer/Cailey Easdale (T) def. Stephanie Pino/Alyssa McAndrew (B) 8-2
1. Elena Vidrascu (B) def. Nani Lizana (T) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
2. Maria Cioffi (B) def. Ayana Dow (T) 6-0, 6-1
3. Lorena Ferrer (T) def. Lydia Colvin (B) 7-5, 6-0
4. Sophie Lesage (T) def. Michele Urbinati (B) 7-5, 6-1
5. Nisha Shah (T) def. Stephanie Pino (B) 7-5, 6-1
6. Ariel Burke (T) def. Jorie Fox (B) 6-0, 6-4