VILLANOVA, Pa. – The Bucknell women’s tennis team put forth a dominant team performance on Tuesday afternoon, taking a 7-0 win over Villanova at the school’s tennis complex. Five of the singles matches went to three sets however, testing the squad’s resiliency and endurance. The Bison, who are 1-1 in the Patriot League, improved to 4-5 on the season with the win, while the Wildcats dropped to 3-8 overall.
Bucknell jumped out to an early lead with wins in all three doubles matches, led by senior Elena Vidrascu and sophomore Maria Cioffi’s 8-6 victory over Mikelle Mancini and Tori Smyth at No. 1 singles. The second pairing of junior Lydia Colvin and freshman Michele Urbinati defeated Connor Brewer and Linley Busby, also by a score of 8-6, while sophomore Stephanie Pino and freshman Melissa Parks earned an identical win over Kate Pettee and Anne Cognetti at the No. 3 spot.
The winning streak continued in singles play, as the Bison earned victories in all six matches. Cioffi was the only player to win in straight sets, taking a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Smyth in the No. 2 bout, while Vidrascu, Colvin, Urbinati and Parks all earned their second wins of the day in their respective matches. Freshman Jorie Fox was victorious at No. 5 singles, defeating Pettee by scores of 6-3, 3-6 and 6-2.
Bucknell will return to action on Wednesday afternoon when the squad travels to Towson for a 2 p.m. match.
1. Elena Vidrascu/Maria Cioffi (B) vs. Mikelle Mancini/Tori Smyth (V), 8-6
2. Lydia Colvin/Michele Urbinati (B) def. Connor Brewer/Linley Busby (V), 8-6
3. Stephanie Pino/Melissa Parks (B) def. Kate Pettee/Anne Cognetti (V), 8-6
1. Elena Vidrascu (B) def. Mikelle Mancini (V), 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Maria Cioffi (B) def. Tori Smyth (V), 6-3, 6-2
3. Lydia Colvin (B) def. Linley Busby (V), 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Michele Urbinati (B) def. Connor Brewer (V), 6-4, 6-7, 6-1
5. Jorie Fox (B) def. Kate Pettee (V), 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
6. Melissa Parks (B) def. Hayley Sanzone (V), 4-6, 6-3, 6-4