LEWISBURG, Pa. – Bucknell men’s track and field sophomore William Melchionni was tabbed M-F Athletic Patriot League Male Track Athlete of the Week following a strong performance at the Bison Opener on Dec. 3.
Melchionni won the 300-meter dash at the season opening meet, crossing the line in 34.75, now the second-fastest time in program history.
Setting the Scene
What: Tri-Meet (vs. UMBC and Saint Francis [Pa.])
When: Saturday, January 7
Where: Gerhard Fieldhouse – Lewisburg, Pa.
About the Bison/Last Time Out
* The Bison are set to host their second of five indoor home meets.
* Bucknell returns to action after competing in the Bison Opener on Dec. 2-3, winning three events.
* Nicholas Lombardo won the long jump, recording a leap of 22-9. His mark ranks second in the Patriot League.
* Scott Gulizio won the 800m title, crossing the line in 1:56.36, the second fastest mark in the league this season.
* William Melchionni posted a victory in the 300m, finishing in 34.75.
* Joseph Breen qualified for IC4As in the shot put, recording a heave of 54-11 ½ in a runner-up finish.
* The Bison are picked to finish fourth in the Patriot League Men’s Track & Field Preseason Poll.
* Saturday will serve as the season opening meet for the Retrievers.
* UMBC returns Hassan Omar, who was named America East Most Outstanding Track Performer at the league championship after winning both the 3,000m and 5,000m races.
* Jamal Cody is the reigning America East champion in the 60m hurdles after clocking a time of 8.14.
Scouting St. Francis (Pa.)
* The Red Flash return to Lewisburg after competing in the Bison Opener.
* Dashuan Jackson was the highest individual finisher for the Red Flash, finishing second in the 60m hurdles.
* Daniel Meyer was the runner-up in 200m with a time of 22.20, a new personal record.
* The Bison return to action Jan. 14 to compete in the Nittany Lion Challenge, the first of two trips to Penn State during the indoor season.