Setting the Scene
Who: Bucknell (17-20, 8-4 PL) at Holy Cross (15-20, 8-4 Patriot League)
When: April 22-23
Where: Hanover Insurance Park at Fitton Field – Worcester, Mass.
Live Stats: GoHolyCross.com
Watch: Patriot League Network
Game 1 (4/22): 2:05 p.m.
Game 2 (4/22): 5:05 p.m.
Game 3 (4/23): 1:05 p.m.
Game 4: (4/23): 4:05 p.m.
About the Bison/Last Time Out
* Bucknell resumes Patriot League play this weekend with a pivotal four-game series with Holy Cross.
* The Bison and Crusaders are tied for second in the Patriot League standings with eight wins apiece. The top-two seeds will host a semifinal series in the Patriot League Tournament.
* Bucknell wrapped up its home slate with a doubleheader Tuesday against St. Bonaventure. The Bonnies won the opening contest in eight innings, 5-4, and won the nightcap in six innings by a 7-4 score. The final inning was called off due to darkness.
* Brett Smith extended his hit streak to 12 games, going 5-for-8 with three-extra hits, two RBIs and two runs scored. Sam Clark extended his hit streak to 11 games, posting two hits and two RBIs.
* This season, Smith is batting .327 and leads the team in hits (48), doubles (13) and runs scored (30). Three Bison are hitting over .300, including Danny Rafferty (.306) and Keifer Rawlings (.300).
* Bucknell is hitting .265 as a team, second-best in the Patriot League. Five Bison have posted at least 35 hits, including Smith (48), Clark (39), Rafferty (38), Luke Johnson (37) and Rawlings (36).
* Connor Van Hoose has a team-high four wins on the mound this season and leads the squad in ERA (2.50), innings pitched (54.0) and strikeouts (71). His 71 strikeouts are tied for first in the Patriot League and are the sixth-most in a single season in Bucknell history. Mike Castellani has three wins on the bump with a 3.86 ERA and 34 strikeouts.
* In league play, four Bison are hitting over .300, including Smith (.488), Clark (.400), Johnson (.357) and Evan Klugerman (.321). Clark has four home runs and 16 RBIs against Patriot League opponents this season.
* Van Hoose has an ERA of 1.29 in three Patriot League starts.
Scouting Holy Cross
* Holy Cross is 15-20 overall, coming off an 8-3 loss to Siena.
* Anthony Critelli, the Patriot League Preseason Player of the Year, is batting .321 with a team-high six home runs.
* Austin Masel is batting .308 and leads the team in hits (41), RBIs (22) and runs scored (21).
* Holy Cross has a team ERA of 4.81. Michael Spada has an ERA of 3.08 in 12 appearances. Joe Cravero has a team-high 42 strikeouts.
* The Crusaders are 8-4 in league play this season. The team took three of four against Army West Point and Lehigh, while splitting with Navy.
* The Crusaders were selected as the preseason favorite in the Patriot League Preseason Poll.
* Four Crusaders made the Preseason All-Patriot League Team, including Critelli, Brendan King, Jon Escobar and Bill Schlich.
* Bucknell is 55-49 all-time against the Crusaders dating back to 1991.
* Holy Cross swept a four-games series against Bucknell last season in Lewisburg.
Bucknell Baseball’s 2017 Weekly Awards
* Patriot League Pitcher of the Week – Mike Castellani (Mar. 28, Apr. 4)
* Patriot League Player of the Week – JohnPaul Bell (Mar. 7)
* The Bison will wrap up their non-league schedule with a contest at Towson on Apr. 25. Bucknell will conclude its regular season on Apr. 29-30 with a four-game series at defending league champion Navy. Saturday’s doubleheader will broadcast on CBS Sports Network while Sunday’s twinbill will broadcast on the Patriot League Network.