LEWISBURG, Pa. – As the Bucknell baseball team prepares for this weekend's Patriot League Tournament Semifinal series at Navy, it was announced on Friday that sophomore Jeff Gottesman and junior Keifer Rawlings have landed a spot on the Academic All-Patriot League Team.
A student-athlete must have at least a 3.20 cumulative grade point average and be a starter or key player in his/her sport to be nominated for the Academic All-Patriot League Team. Freshmen or students in their first academic year at their school are not eligible for the honor.
Gottesman earns Academic All-Patriot League honors for the first time in his career. An accounting and financial management major, the right-handed pitcher earned a spot on last year's Patriot League Academic Honor Roll.
Gottesman has been a fixture in the Bison's weekend rotation this season. Against Patriot League opponents, the sophomore is 2-2 on the mound with 11 strikeouts in 24.2 innings pitched, helping Bucknell to wins over Lehigh and Army West Point.
Rawlings, an accounting and financial management major, receives his first Academic All-League citation. The junior is a two-year Patriot League Academic Honor Roll member.
Rawlings has been an important cog in Bucknell's offense this season. The junior is hitting .275 with four home runs, 28 RBIs and 24 runs scored. He has seven multi-RBI games this season, third-most on the team.
Setting the Scene
Who: Bucknell (19-26, 10-10 PL) at Navy (37-15, 16-4 PL)
Where: Terwilliger Brothers Field at Max Bishop Stadium – Annapolis, Md.
When: May 13-14
Game 1 (5/13): 1 p.m.
Game 2 (5/14): 12 p.m.
* Game 3 (5/14): 3 p.m.
* If Necessary
Live Stats: NavySports.com
Video: Patriot League Network
About the Bison/Last Time Out
* Bucknell returns to the diamond after closing out its regular season with a four-game set at Navy on Apr. 29-30. The Bison dropped three of four against the Midshipmen, winning the opening contest by a 5-0 score.
* Connor Van Hoose was fantastic in his outing at Navy, tossing his third complete game of the year to help the Bison secure a postseason berth. He earned Patriot League Pitcher of the Week accolades for his performance.
* Bucknell placed four on All-Patriot League Teams, announced by the league office on Tuesday. Brett Smith, Sam Clark and Van Hoose landed a spot on the First Team, while Luke Johnson made the Second Team. In addition, Smith was chosen as the Patriot League's inaugural Defensive Player of the Year.
* Smith is batting a team-best .322 and leads the squad in hits (58), doubles (15) and runs scored (34).
* Five Bison have posted over 40 hits this season, including Smith, Clark (49), Danny Rafferty (47), Johnson (43) and Rawlings (41).
* Van Hoose has an ERA of 2.57, third-best in the Patriot League, and leads the team in innings pitched (66.2) and strikeouts (84). His 84 strikeouts lead the league and are tied for the second-most in a single season in Bucknell history.
* Navy is 37-15 overall and are the Patriot League regular season champions.
* The Midshipmen placed a league-high seven on All-Patriot League Teams, including five First Team selections.
* Travis Blue was tabbed Patriot League Player of the Year, while Kyle Condry was named Patriot League Pitcher of the Year.
* Offensively, the Mids lead the league in several categories, including batting average (.303), slugging percentage (.451), on-base percentage (.387) and runs (365).
Game 1: RHP Connor Van Hoose (5-5, 2.57 ERA, 66.2 IP, 84 Ks) vs. RHP Noah Song (6-3, 3.78 ERA, 69.0 IP, 82 Ks)
Game 2: LHP Mike Castellani (4-1, 3.77 ERA, 62.0 IP, 42 Ks) vs. RHP Kyle Condry (7-1, 2.86 ERA, 66.0 IP, 57 Ks)
* Navy leads the all-time series 79-68-1.
* The first game in the series took place in 1904.
* Bucknell has won 14 of the 24 Patriot League Tournament meetings, including 10 of the last 15.
* Bucknell and Navy are meeting in the Patriot League Tournament for the second consecutive season and the fourth time in the last six years.
Patriot League Tournament History
Patriot League Titles
Bucknell, this year, will be going after its seventh Patriot League Tournament title. The Bison won the postseason tournament in 1996, 2001, 2003, 2008, 2010 and 2014, advancing to the NCAA Tournament each time.
Bucknell's PL Tournament Titles
1996, 2001, 2003, 2008, 2010, 2014
Series Records by Seed (since 2008)
No. 1 Seed: 8-5 (titles: 3)
No. 2 Seed: 7-6 (titles: 2)
No. 3 Seed: 4-7 (titles: 1)
No. 4 Seed: 6-8 (titles: 2)
Patriot League Tournament Appearances
Bucknell will be playing in its eighth Patriot League Tournament in the last 10 years. This is the 17th time Bucknell has qualified for the Patriot League Tournament since making its debut in 1996. The Bison own a 27-23 all-time record in the Patriot League Tournament.
Bucknell's PL Tournament Records vs. Opponents
Holy Cross: 3-3
Bucknell Baseball's 2017 Weekly Awards
* Patriot League Pitcher of the Week – Mike Castellani (Mar. 28, Apr. 4, Apr. 25), Connor Van Hoose (May 2)
* Patriot League Player of the Week – JohnPaul Bell (Mar. 7)
* Bison Athlete of the Week – Brett Smith (Apr. 17)