Four-thousand seat Sojka Pavilion is the home of the Bucknell men's and women's basketball teams. The building opened Jan. 15, 2003 with a basketball doubleheader against Lehigh.
The building was dedicated in honor of Dr. Gary A. Sojka, former president of Bucknell University and faculty member in the biology department. Sojka oversaw Bucknell's highly successful move into the Patriot League in the mid-1980s. He is also a former NCAA Faculty Athletics Representative at the university.
Sojka Pavilion represented the final major piece of Bucknell's state-of-the-art Recreation and Athletics Center when it opened in 2003. In use since the fall of that year was the Krebs Fitness Center and Kinney Natatorium, as well as the new sports medicine center and administrative and coaches' offices.
The pavilion includes "walk-down" access and unobstructed views of the playing surface from all seating areas. Many of the 4,000 seats are fixed in place, while others are retractable to allow for an expandable open floor area with sufficient space for three regulation basketball courts for recreational use as well as varsity practice. The facility also features concession areas, ticket windows, restrooms, handicapped seating, team and officials locker rooms, a media room and other meeting areas.
Behind the scenes, on the floor level, Sojka Pavilion provides a green room for performance acts and other functions, a catering kitchen for special events, ticket windows, locker room space for home and visiting teams and officials, and a loading dock capable of accommodating team buses and production trucks for televised events.
Seating Capacity: 4,000
Surface: Hardwood Floor
Opened: Jan. 15, 2003
Namesake: Dr. Gary A. Sojka, a former Bucknell University president
Other: Walk-down unobstructed spectator seating
Architect: Ewing Cole Cherry Brott (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Construction Manager: R.S. Mowery & Sons (Mechanicsburg, Pa.)
Total Square Footage of Sojka Pavilion: 72,700 sq. ft.
Distance from Competition Floor to Ceiling: 49 feet
Scoreboard Provider: Translux Sports/Fair Play
Wood Floor Provider: Connor Sports Flooring Corp.
Seating Provider: Irwin Seating Company
Basketball Standard Provider: Schelde International
Two (2) Concession Stands
Four (4) Women's Restroom Locations on Concourse
Two (2) Men's Restroom Locations on Concourse
- Six permanent accessible parking spaces located in the KLARC U Parking lot. Additional spaces made available on some game days.
- 12 permanent accessible parking spaces located in the Upper Smith Parking lot.
- Enter through the Sojka Pavilion main entrance (automatic doors located to the right).
- For access to the second floor, enter through the Sojka Pavilion main entrance and head straight past the steps, then turn right to access the elevator.
- Restrooms available on the concourse and in the lobby of Sojka Pavilion. Women’s restrooms are located in each corner of the Sojka Pavilion concourse. Men’s restrooms are located at the south end and east corner of the Sojka Pavilion concourse.
- Assisted listening devices available at the ticket window upon request
- Sojka Pavilion has 21 wheelchair access seats with 32 companion seats and eight seats for the hearing impaired.
- Kinney Natatorium provides accessible seating at the top of the bleachers at the northeast corner