FLUSHING, N.Y. – Sophomore Nick Bybel went 2-0 and two more Bison earned strong singles victories on Saturday afternoon, but the Bucknell men’s tennis team fell just short, dropping a 4-3 decision to Fordham at the National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y. The Bison fell to 0-3 in the young season with the defeat, while the Rams improved to 2-5 in dual play with the victory.
The doubles point proved to be the difference in the match, as each side played to victory in three singles bouts. The Bison earned a solid win at No. 1 doubles, as Bybel and senior Aidan Lynch earned a 6-4 triumph over Kuba Kowalski and Matty Najfeld, but the Rams grabbed victories at the second and third spot, taking the point. Junior Jonathan DeFrancesch and senior Scott Bernstein were defeated 6-2 at the No. 2 spot, while junior Octavio Canibe and freshman Jordan Lieb dropped a 6-3 decision at No. 3 doubles.
Bybel earned his second win of the day at No. 1 singles, defeating Kowalski for the second time in the match by scores of 6-4, 6-4, but Fordham snatched up straight-set victories at the next three spots. The Bison rallied back, as freshman Bryan Adams defeated Max Peara, 7-5, 6-2 at No. 5 singles, and senior Kyle Rosen was triumphant at the sixth spot, defeating Pedro Alonso 6-3, 6-3, but it wasn’t quite enough to overcome the Rams.
Bucknell will return to the West Branch Tennis Club in Williamsport, Pa. on Friday, Feb. 21 for its second home match of the season, playing host to Duquesne at the indoor facility. Action is scheduled to being at 1 p.m.
1. Nick Bybel/Aidan Lynch (B) def. Kuba Kowalski/Matty Najfeld (F), 6-4
2. Alastair Barnes/Mischa Koran (F) def. John DeFrancesch/Scott Bernstein (B), 6-2
3. J.J. Tauil/Max Peara (F) def. Octavio Canibe/Jordan Lieb (B), 6-3
1. Nick Bybel (B) def. Kuba Kowalski (F), 6-4, 6-4
2. Matty Najfeld (F) def. Aidan Lynch (B), 6-3, 7-5
3. Alastair Barnes (F) def. Irwin Reibeisen (B), 6-2, 6-3
4. J.J. Tauil (F) def. Octavio Canibe (B), 6-2, 6-3
5. Bryan Adams (B) def. Max Peara (F), 7-5, 6-2
6. Kyle Rosen (B) def. Pedro Alonso (F), 6-3, 6-3