WEST POINT, N.Y. – Sophomore Maria Cioffi earned her seventh straight win at No. 2 singles on Saturday morning, but the Bucknell women’s tennis team was unable to surpass a perennially strong Army squad, dropping a 6-1 decision on the Malek Courts. The Bison fell to 5-7 overall and 2-2 in Patriot League action with the defeat, while the Black Knights improved to 21-2 overall and a perfect 7-0 in conference play with the win.
“We played too tentatively and too tightly,” commented head coach Rebecca Helt after the contest. “I know we have much better tennis in us. Maria did provide a bright spot though, as she competed hard and took care of the basics to earn her singles win.”
Army took an early lead, sweeping all three double matches to earn the point, but senior Elena Vidrascu and Cioffi put up a strong fight in the No. 1 match, falling 8-6 to Della Taylor and Elle Taylor. Jamila Paul and Carolyn Pitman defeated junior Lydia Colvin and freshman Michele Urbinati by a score of 8-1 at No. 2 doubles, and the No. 3 pairing of sophomore Stephanie Pino and junior Alyssa McAndrew dropped an 8-3 decision to Margaret Iliev and Carly Riney.
Urbinati challenged Della Taylor at No. 4 singles and freshman Jorie Fox went toe-to-toe with Nancy Porter in the No. 6 match, but the Black Knights clinched the team victory with wins at all but No. 2 singles. Cioffi, who remains undefeated in Patriot League singles play, earned her seventh consecutive triumph at that spot, defeating Paul by scores of 6-4 and 6-2. The sophomore improved her season mark to 17-7 with the victory and is currently 9-3 in dual play.
The Bison will continue Patriot League play on Sunday with a 2 p.m. contest at Lafayette before returning to Lewisburg for their final conference dual of the season, a 3 p.m. match against Lehigh on Monday.
1. Della Taylor/Elle Taylor (A) def. Elena Vidrascu/Maria Cioffi (B) 8-6
2. Jamila Paul/Carolyn Pitman (A) def. Lydia Colvin/Michelle Urbinati (B) 8-1
3. Margaret Iliev/Carly Riney (A) def. Stephanie Pino/Alyssa McAndrew (B) 8-3
1. Jamila Paul (A) def. Elena Vidrascu (B), 6-3, 6-3
2. Maria Cioffi (B) def. Carolyn Pitman (A), 6-4, 6-2
3. Gabby Spindler (A) def. Lydia Colvin (B), 6-2, 4-1
4. Della Taylor (A) def. Michele Urbinati (B), 6-3, 7-5
5. Elle Taylor (A) def. Stephanie Pino (B), 6-0, 6-4
6. Nancy Porter (A) def. Jorie Fox (B), 6-4, 6-4