EASTON, Pa. – The Bucknell women’s tennis team bounced back from a tough loss to Army on Saturday to take a 6-1 win over Lehigh on Sunday afternoon at the Sullivan Courts. The Bison improved to 6-7 overall and 3-2 in Patriot League action with the win, while the Leopards dropped to 5-6 overall and 1-5 in conference play with the defeat.
“Today was a good opportunity for us to get a good look at our depth,” commented head coach Rebecca Helt. “Everyone stepped up to play solid matches.”
Bucknell swept all three double matches to earn the point, led by senior Elena Vidrascu and sophomore Maria Cioffi’s 8-2 win over Caroline Nixon and Catherine Senopoulos at No. 1 doubles. Junior Lydia Colvin and sophomore Stephanie Pino defeated Rocine Moschella and Tori Almeida by the same score at No. 2 doubles, and the No. 3 pairing of junior Christie Schneider and senior Elizabeth Morgan, who played together for the first time this season, earned an 8-4 win over Amanda Kusnierz and Lauren Tracy.
The Bison clinched the match with five wins in singles play, taking all but the No. 5 match. Vidrascu played to a 6-0, 6-4 win over Nixon at No. 1 singles, while Cioffi, who remains undefeated in Patriot League singles play, earned her eighth consecutive triumph at No. 2 singles, defeating Nixon by scores of 6-0 and 6-0.
Freshman Michele Urbinati, Pino and junior Alyssa McAndrew also earned wins in their respective matches to help push Bucknell past Lafayette. Urbinati played to a 6-0, 6-1 win over Moschella at No. 3 singles, while Pino triumphed over Senopoulos (3-6, 7-5, 10-2) in the No. 4 match. McAndrew’s win came in the form of a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Kusnierz at No. 6 singles.
The Bison were scheduled to play Lehigh at home on Monday, but the Mountain Hawks have chosen to forfeit the match due to its inability to affect the seeding for the conference tournament. Bucknell will have the No. 4 seed in the Patriot League Tournament, which the squad will host on the Bucknell Tennis Courts from April 17 to 20.
1. Elena Vidrascu/Maria Cioffi (B) def. Caroline Nixon/Catherine Senopoulos (L), 8-2
2. Lydia Colvin/Stephanie Pino (B) def. Rocine Moschella/Tori Almeida (L), 8-2
3. Christie Schneider/Elizabeth Morgan (B) def. Amanda Kusnierz/Lauren Tracy (L), 8-4
1. Elena Vidrascu (B) def. Caroline Nixon (L), 6-0, 6-4
2. Maria Cioffi (B) def. Jordyn Spellberg (L), 6-0, 6-0
3. Michele Urbinati (B) def. Rocine Moschella (L), 6-0, 6-1
4. Stephanie Pino (B) def. Catherine Senopoulos (L), 3-6, 7-5, 10-2
5. Tori Almeida (L) def. Jorie Fox (B), 6-0, Ret.
6. Alyssa McAndrew (B) def. Amanda Kusnierz (L), 6-4, 6-4