LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Bucknell women’s tennis team took full advantage of the home crowd on Friday morning, playing to a 4-0 victory over Lehigh in the Patriot League Tournament quarterfinals on the Bucknell Varsity Tennis Courts. The Bison, who entered the competition as the fourth seed, scooped up the doubles point before clinching the win over the fifth-seeded Mountain Hawks with triumphs at No. 2, No. 3 and No. 5 singles. Bucknell improves to 7-7 overall with the win and will go on to face No. 1 Boston University in an 11 a.m. semifinal match on Saturday, while Lehigh drops to 7-10 on the season with the loss.
Senior Elena Vidrascu and sophomore Maria Cioffi remained undefeated in Patriot League doubles play with their 8-2 win over Cassidy Cruz and Taylor Hampshire, while freshman Michele Urbinati and sophomore Stephanie Pino secured the point for the Bison, defeating Abby Farrell and Alexandra Kaminetsky by a score of 8-2. Juniors Lydia Colvin and Alyssa McAndrew were in a 6-6 tie with Jessica Graham and Jamie Campisi when the point was awarded.
Pino was the first to victory in singles play, defeating Hampshire 6-0, 6-2 at the No. 5 spot to give Bucknell a 2-0 lead. Cioffi, who is also undefeated in conference singles play, earned her ninth straight win at No. 2 singles, defeating Cruz 6-1, 6-1, and Colvin took the match for the Bison with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Graham at the No. 3 spot. Vidrascu, Urbinati and freshman Jorie Fox all led in their respective matches when play was called.
In addition, Friday afternoon's win with the 182nd victory of head coach Rebecca Helt's 17-year career, breaking the program record for all-time wins by a coach. Helt eclipsed the 181 victories recorded by Hall-of-Famer Rose Ewan, and now holds a career mark of 182-169.
Bucknell will return to action in the semifinals tomorrow, taking on newcomer and No. 1 seed Boston University at 11 a.m. The winner of the match will go on to play in the championship bout, scheduled for 12 p.m. on Sunday.
Bucknell 4, Lehigh 0
1. Elena Vidrascu/Maria Cioffi (B) def. Cassidy Cruz/Taylor Hampshire (L), 8-2
2. Lydia Colvin/Alyssa McAndrew (B) vs. Jessica Graham/Jamie Campisi (L), 6-6, did not finish – point awarded
3. Michele Urbinati/Stephanie Pino (B) def. Abby Farrell/Alexandra Kaminetsky (L), 8-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2 (DNF)
1. Elena Vidrascu (B) led Abby Farrell (L), 6-3, 0-1, did not finish – match clinched
2. Maria Cioffi (B) def. Cassidy Cruz (L), 6-1, 6-1
3. Lydia Colvin (B) def. Jessica Graham (L), 6-3, 6-2
4. Michele Urbinati (B) led Jamie Campisi (L), 6-4, 4-3, did not finish – match clinched
5. Stephanie Pino (B) def. Taylor Hampshire (L), 6-0, 6-2
6. Jorie Fox (B) led Alexandra Kaminetsky (L), 6-0, did not finish – match clinched
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 3, 4 (DNF), 1 (DNF), 6 (DNF)