LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Bucknell women’s tennis team was eliminated from the Patriot League Tournament on Saturday afternoon, dropping a 4-0 decision to No. 1 Boston University on the Varsity Tennis Courts. The Bison, who took a 4-0 win over the Lehigh Mountain Hawks on Friday, dropped to 7-8 overall with the loss, while the Terriers, who joined the Patriot League this season, improved to 13-6 and advanced to the conference championship match, where they will play the Army Black Knights.
Boston University took the early lead in the match, grabbing the doubles point. Johanna Hyoty and Leonie-Charlotte Athanaisiadis played to an 8-2 win over senior Elena Vidrascu and sophomore Maria Cioffi at No. 1 doubles, while the pairing of Lauren Davis and Barbara Rodriguez earned an 8-3 victory over juniors Lydia Colvin and Alyssa McAndrew in the No. 2 match, taking the point. Kim McCallum and Madison Craft held a 6-4 lead over freshman Michele Urbinati and sophomore Stephanie Pino when play was called.
The Terriers clinched the match with three wins in singles play, coming out on top in the No. 1, No. 3 and No. 4 matches. Cioffi, Pino and freshman Jorie Fox were all still battling their opponents when Boston University took the fourth point.
Bucknell will play once more in the 2013-14 season, traveling to Bloomsburg on Tuesday for a 4 p.m. match.
Boston University 4, Bucknell 0
1. Johanna Hyoty/Leonie-Charlotte Athanaisiadis (BU) def. Elena Vidrascu/Maria Cioffi (B), 8-2
2. Lauren Davis/Barbara Rodriguez (BU) def. Lydia Colvin/Alyssa McAndrew (B), 8-3
3. Kim McCallum/Madison Craft (BU) led Michele Urbinati/Stephanie Pino (B), 6-4, did not finish – point awarded
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3 (DNF)
1. Johanna Hyoty (BU) def. Elena Vidrascu (B), 6-0, 6-0
2. Lauren Davis (BU) led Maria Cioffi (B), 6-2, 2-2, did not finish – match clinched
3. Leonie-Charlotte Athanaisiadis (BU) def. Lydia Colvin (B), 6-0, 6-2
4. Sami Lieb (BU) def. Michele Urbinati (B), 7-5, 6-0
5. Barbara Rodriguez (BU) led Stephanie Pino (B), 6-2, 2-1, did not finish – match clinched
6. Kim McCallum (BU) led Jorie Fox (B), 6-1, 5-2, did not finish – match clinched
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4, 6 (DNF), 2 (DNF), 5 (DNF)