BLOOMSBURG, Pa. – Bucknell closed the regular season with an easy 8-1 win at Bloomsburg in a non-conference men’s tennis match Monday at the Burt Reese Tennis Center. The Bison won all six singles matches and two of the three doubles contests in a match that used Division II team scoring rules.
“We played everyone on the roster today and are happy to get our 10th win,” Bucknell head coach Bruce Myers said. “They deserved it and earned it today.”
The Bison won all six singles matches in straight sets, starting with a 6-0, 6-1 win by Max McDonald on court three. Colin Sacco followed him with a 6-2, 6-4 victory on court four, and Timber Erskine notched the third team point with a 6-2, 6-1 win on court six.
Erskine’s win officially clinched the match for Bucknell, but the Bison completed the dominant performance by closing it out with three more victories. Max Haase defeated his opponent 7-5, 6-1 on court five, Daniel Wright was a 6-2, 6-1 victor on court one, and Max Kane finished things off with a 6-2, 6-3 triumph on court two.
Bucknell enters the Patriot League Tournament with a record of 10-17 overall and 3-4 in the conference. The league tournament will be held at Navy on April 20-23.
Following Monday’s match, the Bucknell players had the opportunity to work with athletes from the Special Olympics. The Bison players were also able to pose for photos with a torch from the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio.
“It was an absolute pleasure to work with the athletes from the Special Olympics,” Myers said. “It was certainly a thrill for all of the student-athletes.”
Bucknell 8, Bloomsburg University 1
Apr 17, 2017 at Bloomsburg, Pa, (Burt Reese Tennis Center)
1. Daniel Wright (BUCKNELL) def. Gerard Puig (BLOOM-M) 6-2, 6-1
2. Max Kane (BUCKNELL) def. Leonardo Nakasone (BLOOM-M) 6-2, 6-3
3. Max McDonald (BUCKNELL) def. Hen. Conrado Stemmer (BLOOM-M) 6-0, 6-1
4. Colin Sacco (BUCKNELL) def. Pedro Andari (BLOOM-M) 6-2, 6-4
5. Max Haase (BUCKNELL) def. Steve Williams (BLOOM-M) 7-5, 6-1
6. Timber Erskine (BUCKNELL) def. Christian Cioffi (BLOOM-M) 6-2, 6-1
1. Gerard Puig/Steve Williams (BLOOM-M) def. Andrei Vitiuc/Max Palmer (BUCKNELL) 8-6
2. Daniel Wright/Ben Gerber (BUCKNELL) def. Pedro Andari/Pablo Herrero (BLOOM-M) 8-4
3. Timber Erskine/Bryan Adams (BUCKNELL) def. Leonardo Nakasone/Christian Cioffi (BLOOM-M) 8-4
Bucknell 10-17 (3-4 Patriot)
Bloomsburg University 6-9 (3-2 PSAC)