Setting the Scene
What: Bucknell Team Challenge
When: April 22, 2017
Where: Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium – Lewisburg, Pa.
Live Results: BucknellBison.com
About the Bison/Last Time Out
* Bucknell is set to host its final meet of the year.
* The Bison return to action after winning the team title at the Bison Outdoor Classic. Bucknell broke two school records while winning three events.
* Colleen Buckley broke the school record in the 5,000-meter, winning the race with a time of 16:29.83, smashing the previous best set by Christine Bendzinski at the Colonial Relays. On Tuesday, Buckley was named Patriot League Female Track Athlete of the Week.
* Kate Scott broke a 30-year-old record in the 10,000m, finishing second in the race with a time of 34:46.48, beating the previous record set by Judy Perry in 1987.
* Meg Sangimino won the javelin with a heave of 158-4, just three inches short of tying the school record.
* Bendzinski won the 1,500m with a time of 4:20.13.
* Lauren Gronbeck (5,000m), Sarah Chandler (1,500m), Kathleen Fitzgerald (1,500m), Elizabeth Sheprow (steeplechase), Christine O’Kane (steeplechase), Laura Papili (400 hurdles), Kaitlin Salisbury (200m), Ella Schultz (shot put) and Stephanie Easse (discus) each posted a top-10 program performance.
* The Bison own the top mark in the Patriot League in seven events this season.
* Bucknell ranks sixth in the Mid-Atlantic region, ahead of Patriot League opponents Lehigh (12th), Navy (19th), Lafayette (24th), Loyola (30th) and American (31st).
Quote from Head Coach Kevin Donner
“It will be nice to be in a smaller meet after three very large meets in a row,” says coach Donner. “We will treat this as more of a team competition as it is scored and we want to win. However, not at the expense of over working anyone. We’re two weeks out from leagues and we must keep people healthy. I hope to continue to see the improvement carry over from a great Outdoor Classic.”
* At the conclusion of the meet, the spiked shoe program will honor its 2017 senior class.
Welcome Back Class of 2006-07!
* During the meet, the Bison will recognize the 2007 Class. The 2006-07 team captured the Triple Crown, winning the 2006 Patriot League XC Championships, followed by the indoor and outdoor titles.
Last Year at Bucknell Team Challenge
* The Bison finished second in a field of eight teams.
* Margaret Thomson won the steeplechase with a time of 10:57.35.
* Carly Reiner won the triple jump with a leap of 38-2 ¼.
* Bendzinski won the 800m with a mark of 2:12.64.
* Christine Bendzinski (800m, 1,500m, 5,000m)
* Colleen Buckley (5,000m, 10,000m)
* Sarah Chandler (800m, 1,500m, steeplechase)
* Stephanie Easse (discus)
* Jenna Farmer (3,000m)
* Kathleen Fitzgerald (1,500m)
* Lauren Gronbeck (5,000m, 10,000m)
* Christine O’Kane (10,000m)
* Laura Papili (400 hurdles)
* Meg Sangimino (javelin)
* Kate Scott (5,000m, 10,000m)
* Brennan Sharkey (10,000m)
* Elizabeth Sheprow (steeplechase)
* Rebecca Skovira (javelin)
* 4x100 relay
Bucknell Women’s Track and Field 2017 Weekly Awards
* Patriot League Field Athlete of the Week – Meg Sangimino (Mar. 28)
* Patriot League Rookie of the Week – Kaitlin Salisbury (Mar. 28, Apr. 4), Ella Schultz (Apr. 11)
* Patriot League Female Track Athlete of the Week – Colleen Buckley (Apr. 18)
* The Bison will compete one last weekend before the Patriot League Outdoor Championships. Bucknell will send a group of athletes to compete at the Penn Relays (Apr. 27-29), while another group will compete at Bloomsburg (Apr. 29).