Setting the Scene
Who: Bucknell (21-26, 10-10 PL) at Holy Cross (21-25, 12-8 PL)
Where: Hanover Insurance Park at Fitton Field – Worcester, Mass.
When: May 19-20
Game 1 (5/19) – 5:05 p.m.
Game 2 (5/20) – 12:05 p.m.
Game 3 (5/20)* – 3:05 p.m.
Live Results: GoHolyCross.com
Watch: Patriot League Network
About the Bison/Last Time Out
* The Bucknell baseball team has advanced to the Patriot League Championship Series after knocking off top-seeded Navy in the Patriot League Tournament Semifinals.
* The Bison, the fourth-seed, won the opening game by a 4-1 score. Connor Van Hoose went the distance, tossing his fourth complete game of the year, allowing one run on three hits while striking out six. Bucknell scored all four of its runs in the eighth inning.
* Mike Castellani tossed his third complete game shutout of the season in the series-clinching win, surrendering three hits while striking out six, matching a season-high. On Monday, he was named Bison Athlete of the Week for his performance.
* Evan Klugerman went 5-for-8 in the series with two doubles and one run scored, Danny Rafferty went 4-for-8 with two RBIs and two runs scored, while Sam Clark went 3-for-7 with two RBIs and one run scored.
* Bucknell outhit the Midshipmen 24-6 in the series and outscored the defending champs 9-1.
* The Bison shut down a Midshipmen team that entered the series with the league's top offense, leading the Patriot League in nearly every category. Navy, who placed seven on All-Patriot League Teams, was held to one run in 18.0 innings on six hits while striking out 12 times. Entering with a team batting average of .303, the Midshipmen hit .105 for the series.
Scouting Holy Cross
* Holy Cross returns to the Patriot League Championship Series for the second straight year after knocking off No. 3 seed Army West Point.
* The Crusaders won the opening contest by an 8-2 score and came from behind to claim game two, 5-4.
* Holy Cross placed four on All-Patriot League Teams, including Anthony Critelli (First Team), George Capen (Second Team), Thomas Russo (Second Team) and Austin Masel (Second Team). Masel was also voted the Patriot League's Rookie of the Year.
Bucknell-Holy Cross History
* Bucknell is 56-52 all-time against Holy Cross dating back to 1991.
* The two teams have met in the postseason twice since the Patriot League Tournament format expanded to four teams in 2008. Bucknell is 3-3 all-time against the Crusaders in postseason play.
* Holy Cross took three of four from the Bison in the regular season. Bucknell's lone win came by an 11-5 decision.
* Brett Smith hit .375 in the series with two RBIs and three runs scored. Luke Johnson hit .286 with two home runs, six RBIs and two runs scored.
Patriot League Tournament History
Patriot League Titles
Bucknell, this year, will be going after its seventh Patriot League Tournament title. The Bison won the postseason tournament in 1996, 2001, 2003, 2008, 2010 and 2014, advancing to the NCAA Tournament each time.
Bucknell's PL Tournament Titles
1996, 2001, 2003, 2008, 2010, 2014
Series Records by Seed (since 2008)
No. 1 Seed: 9-6 (titles: 3)
No. 2 Seed: 9-6 (titles: 2)
No. 3 Seed: 4-9 (titles: 1)
No. 4 Seed: 6-7 (titles: 2)
Patriot League Tournament Appearances
Bucknell will be playing in its eighth Patriot League Tournament in the last 10 years. This is the 17th time Bucknell has qualified for the Patriot League Tournament since making its debut in 1996. The Bison own a 29-23 all-time record in the Patriot League Tournament.
Bucknell's PL Tournament Records vs. Opponents
Holy Cross: 3-3
* Patriot League Pitcher of the Week – Mike Castellani (Mar. 28, Apr. 4, Apr. 25), Connor Van Hoose (May 2)
* Patriot League Player of the Week – JohnPaul Bell (Mar. 7)
* Bison Athlete of the Week – Brett Smith (Apr. 17), Mike Castellani (May 15)