Setting the Scene (Friday, Oct. 13 – 10:45 a.m.)
What: Penn State National Open
Where: Blue-White Golf Course (University Park, Pa.) – 6k course
Teams: Akron, Bucknell, Buffalo, Cornell, Dartmouth, James Madison, Kent State, Lehigh, Loyola (Md.), North Carolina, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Princeton, UC Davis, Villanova, West Virginia, William & Mary.
(Saturday, Oct. 14 – 10 a.m.)
What: Leopard Invitational
Where: Metzger Field (Easton, Pa.) – 6k course
About the Bison
• Bucknell will run at the Blue-White Golf Course for the second time this season when it takes part in the Penn State National Open. The Bison competed against numerous nationally-ranked teams at the Spiked Shoe Invitational earlier this season.
• Senior Christine Bendzinski was the top runner for Bucknell at the Spiked Shoe Invitational. She finished seventh out of 85 runners, completing the 6k race in 21:34. Junior Jenna Farmer took 17th, and junior Colleen Buckley was 20th.
• The Bison last competed at the Dickinson Long-Short Invitational on Sept. 30. Freshman Payton Capes was named the Patriot League Rookie of the Week after taking third out of 181 runners in the 4k race. Freshman Kelsey Bordash was 15th in the shorter of the two races on the day.
• Junior Margaret Thomson was Bucknell’s top runner in the 6k race at Dickinson, taking fifth out of 190 runners. Junior Christine O’Kane finished 10th.
• Bucknell will also send runners to the Leopard Invitational at Lafayette on Saturday.
• The Penn State National Open and the Leopard Invitational are Bucknell’s final two events before the Patriot League Championships on Saturday, Oct. 28. This year’s league meet will be hosted by Lehigh, as will the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional.
• Bucknell has won back-to-back Patriot League titles.
• The Bison are ranked 10th in the latest Mid-Atlantic Region rankings.
Quote (Head Coach Kevin Donner)
“We are excited about this upcoming meet as we will see some national level competition, as well as some of the top teams in our region. We know the course well, and it's a true cross country course. Our top three have been consistent all year with Bendzinski, Buckley and Farmer. We do need to start establishing consistency at the 4-7 spots. Sickness has been an obstacle with our depth this year and hopefully we have weathered the storm and are ready to show our depth.”
About the Penn State National Open
• Bucknell will compete at the Penn State National Open for the second straight year. The Bison finished ninth out of 19 teams last season.
• Penn State won last year’s event and was followed in the team standings by Mississippi, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, and Texas.
• Christine Bendzinski was Bucknell’s top runner last year, taking 16th out of 223 runners. Current team members Colleen Buckley (66th), Anna Chiodo-Ortiz (89th), and Lauren Gronbeck (93rd) also competed.
About the Leopard Open
• Bucknell will compete at the Leopard Invitational for the second straight year. The Bison finished second out of five teams last season.
• Temple won the team title. Following Bucknell in the team standings were Lafayette, Seton Hall, and Saint Joseph’s.
• Margaret Thomson was Bucknell’s top runner last year, taking third out of 52 runners. Tabitha Wismer (6th) and Lindsay Schafer (9th) also finished in the top 10 for the Bison.
Weekly Awards Won by the Bison
• Patriot League Runner of the Week (3) – Christine Bendzinski (9/6, 9/12, 9/25)
• Patriot League Rookie of the Week (3) – Tiara Tardy (9/12), Ashley Blair (9/25), Payton Capes (10/2)
• Bucknell will go for its third straight Patriot League Championship when it travels to Lehigh for the event on Saturday, Oct. 28.