Setting the Scene
Friday, Jan. 26 – 5 p.m.
Bucknell (0-0) vs. Niagara (3-1) | St. Bonaventure Fitness Center (Olean, N.Y.)
Saturday, Jan. 27 – Noon
Bucknell (0-0) at St. Bonaventure (0-2) | St. Bonaventure Fitness Center (Olean, N.Y.)
About the Bison
• Bucknell opens the 2018 spring season with a pair of matches in Olean, New York, this weekend. The Bison start with a neutral-site match against Niagara on Friday, and will then play at St. Bonaventure on Saturday.
• Rebecca Helt is in her 21st season as head coach at Bucknell. She is the program’s all-time leader in wins.
• Helt recently announced that seniors Lisa Jouravleva and Emilie Bush will serve as team captains for the 2018 season. Jouravleva was a First Team All-Patriot League selection last season, and both players are regulars on the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll.
• Bush and freshman Rachel Carroll posted the team’s top singles records this past fall. Bush was 4-4, while Carroll went 6-6.
• The top doubles team for the Bison this fall was Sofia Ayuso and Paige Leavy at 2-1. Koch and Papich teamed to go 3-3, while Koch and Jouravleva went 2-2.
• Bucknell beat Niagara 7-0 and St. Bonaventure 5-2 last season. Leavy and Madeline Melch had singles wins in both matches.
• The Purple Eagles are 3-1 after a 7-0 loss to Syracuse in their spring opener. They posted wins over Walsh (4-3), Daemen (7-0), and SUNY Geneseo (5-2) in the fall.
• Stella Peisakhova, Andreea Peteu, and Sharlee Deshmukh are all 3-0 in dual competition. Peisakhova plays on court one, Peteu plays on court two, and Deshmukh has split time between courts four and five.
• Niagara was picked to finish fifth out of eight in the MAAC this season. The Purple Raiders went 5-17 last season.
Scouting St. Bonaventure
• The Bonnies are 0-2 with a pair of losses to Patriot League opponents, falling to Loyola 7-0 and Navy 6-1.
• Francesca Chin has the team’s lone singles win this spring. It came on court five against Navy.
• St. Bonaventure went 7-17 last season.
• The Bison will play La Salle at the Hershey Racquet Club on Saturday, Feb. 3.