LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Bucknell men's lacrosse team opens its 50th anniversary season by welcoming Marist to Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Feb. 3 at 1 p.m.
Marist (0-0, 0-0 MAAC) vs. Bucknell (0-0, 0-0 Patriot League)
When: Saturday, Feb. 3 – 1 p.m.
Where: Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium – Lewisburg, Pa.
Live Stats: BucknellBison.com
Follow on Twitter: @Bucknell_MLAX
Bucknell at a Glance
• The Bison men's lacrosse team is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2018. Established in 1968, the program has compiled a 360-346 all-time record with Sid Jamieson (1968-2005) and Frank Fedorjaka (2006-present) at the helm.
• In 2017, Bucknell went 5-8 (3-5 Patriot League), coming up a single game short of qualifying for its 11th-straight Patriot League Tournament.
• The Bison, who finished tied for seventh in the Patriot League a year ago, were picked to place fourth in the 2018 preseason poll, as voted on by the league’s coaches and sports information directors.
• Bucknell returns four All-Patriot League selections in Matt Gilray (2nd '17, '16), Christian Klipstein (2nd '17, '16), Sean O'Brien (1st '17) and Will Sands (1st '17, 2nd '16). All four were voted to the 2018 Preseason All-Patriot League team, giving the Bison the league-high total.
• Bucknell also returns its top four point producers from a year ago in Sands (20g-42a), Connor O'Hara (32g-3a), O'Brien (28g-5a) and Reed Malas (14g-11a). The Bison will have to replace Quinn Collison, who led the team with a .600 shooting percentage and finished fifth with 22 points (18g-4a)
• The majority of Bucknell's defensive rotation is back, highlighted by seniors Benny Borgognone and Lukas Munoz. Gilray, who has played short-stick midfield, long-stick midfield and close defense over the course of his collegiate career, is expected to be utilized primarily as a long-stick midfielder in 2018.
• Klipstein begins his junior year with Bucknell's seventh-best career goals against average (9.37). As a freshman, he went 10-4, placing third in the nation in save percentage (.579), 11th in GAA (8.41) and 21st in saves (158). He followed that up by recording 140 saves, a .513 save percentage and a 10.41 GAA in 2017.
• The Bison boast one of the Patriot League's top faceoff men in Jarett Witzal, who already holds school records in faceoffs won in a game (22), faceoffs won in a season (171), single-season faceoff percentage (.6173) and career faceoff percentage (.586). As a freshman in 2016, he ranked third nationally with his .617 faceoff percentage.
• Fedorjaka enters his 13th season as head coach with a 111-70 (.613) record. In Patriot League action, he has gone 50-30 (.625), leading the Bison to perfect 6-0 records in 2009 and 2011.
• For a full season preview, visit this link.
Marist at a Glance
• In 2017, the Red Foxes went 10-6 (4-2 MAAC). For the fourth-straight season, they advanced to the MAAC Championship final; there, they fell to top-seeded Monmouth by a slim 9-8 decision.
• Marist was selected to finish second in the MAAC preseason poll. Brian Corrigan and Gannon Morrison were selected to the preseason All-MAAC team.
• The Red Foxes return four of their seven all-MAAC selections in Corrigan (First Team), Morrison (First Team), Michael Smith (Rookie Team) and Joe Tierney (Rookie Team).
• Corrigan has been among the nation's top goalies, finishing second nationally in save percentage in both 2017 (.627) and 2016 (.588). In 2017, he also ranked seventh in saves per game (12.31).
• Bucknell assistant coach Matt Dugan was a three-year starter and primary face-off man at Marist. During his time as a Red Fox, the 2013 graduate twice posted a face-off percentage north of .510 and finished in the MAAC's top five in ground balls three times.
The Bucknell/Marist Series
• The Bison and Red Foxes are set to meet for the first time since 2005.
• The other two meetings took place in 1992 and 1993.
• Bucknell won all three games, outscoring Marist by a 55-10 margin.
• The Red Foxes are one of two current MAAC members the Bison have faced. Bucknell holds a 3-0 record over Canisius.
Career Milestone Watch
• Matt Gilray: Needs 17 ground balls to crack Bucknell's top 10 with 138
• Will Sands: Needs 10 goals to enter Bucknell's top 10 with 92
• Will Sands: Needs 11 points to move from seventh to sixth (179) in school history; needs 16 to enter a tie for fifth (184)
• Will Sands: Needs 14 assists to become the fifth Bison to record 100 in his career
• Jarett Witzal: Needs 12 ground balls to crack Bucknell's top 10 with 138
• Jarett Witzal: Needs 46 face-off attempts to move from fourth to third (560) in school history
• Jarett Witzal: Needs 122 face-off wins to claim the school record from Jake Clarke (422)
A Look Ahead
• The Bison travel to defending NEC champion Bryant for a game on Saturday, Feb. 10 at 1 p.m.