LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Bucknell wrestling team returns to Davis Gym on Sunday at 2 p.m. to square off against Army West Point in its final EIWA dual of the 2017-18 campaign.
Before the dual, their second to last of the season, the Bison will honor Tyler Smith, who won the 100th bout of his collegiate career on Feb. 4 at American.
Projected Bucknell Lineup
125: Mike Macklin (2-10) OR Geo Barzona (7-12)
133: David Campbell (3-17)
141: No. 15/11/17 Tyler Smith (22-3)
149: Seth Hogue (9-17)
157: Christian Bassolino (4-17) OR Andrew Millsap (0-7)
165: D.J. Hollingshead (16-10)
174: Nick Stephani (11-13)
184: Drew Phipps (18-9)
197: Chad Reese (1-7)
285: Brandon Stokes (9-14)
Projected Army West Point Lineup
125: Trey Chalifoux (15-9)
133: Lane Peters (14-11)
141: Austin Harry (15-13)
149: Will Lucie (14-7)
157: Lucas Weiland (12-12)
165: Andrew Mendel (10-5)
174: Ben Harvey (13-7)
184: Noah Stewart (15-11)
197: Rocco Caywood (14-10)
285: Bobby Heald (10-14)
Note: 2017-18 record in parentheses; rankings are Intermat/The Open Mat/FloWrestling
Bucknell at a Glance
• The Bison are currently 3-12 (2-6 EIWA) on the season.
• Bucknell went 1-1 on the road last weekend. After downing Franklin & Marshall, 23-13, on Feb. 2, the Bison fell to American, 32-11, on Feb. 4.
• Against the Diplomats, Bucknell took control of the dual early, winning five of the first six bouts to race out to what proved to be an insurmountable 17-3 lead. David Campbell (133) and Tyler Smith (141) set the tone, winning their bouts by major decision, while Drew Phipps (184) put the exclamation mark on a commanding team effort by pinning his opponent.
• Despite Smith's milestone victory, and major decisions earned by D.J. Hollingshead (165) and Phipps, the Eagles dropped the Bison, 32-11. Smith, Hollingshead and Phipps all went 2-0 on the weekend while Seth Hogue (149) won his lone bout.
• Smith, who is a perfect 14-0 in dual action, leads the team with 22 wins. He is also riding a 12-bout winning streak and boasts team-best totals in victories by major decision (7) and technical fall (3).
• Phipps ranks second on the team in overall wins (18) and dual wins (9). He is also 6-1 in EIWA action, with his only loss coming to then No. 13 Michael Coleman of Navy. Phipps is tied with Hollingshead for second among Bison in victories by major decision (5).
• Matthew Kolonia (141/149) leads Bucknell with five pins; he, Phipps and Smith are the only Bison who have won by fall, technical fall and major decision during the 2017-18 campaign.
• Twenty two different Bison have started in dual competition this season. Of that group, only Smith (141) and Phipps (184/197) have started during all but one match to date.
• Tyler Smith checks in at No. 15, 11 and 17 respectively in the most recent Intermat, The Open Mat and FloWrestling rankings.
• Smith and Garrett Hoffman appeared in the first of four NCAA Coaches' Panel Rankings. Smith, a three-time NCAA qualifier, was slotted 13th in the 141-pound weight class. Hoffman, who earned an at-large bid to compete at the 2017 national tournament, was ranked 30th at 197 pounds.
Smith Wins 100th Career Bout
• On Feb. 4 at American, Tyler Smith edged Jack Mutchnik by a 4-0 decision to become the 10th Bison to reach the 100-victory plateau. With 30 seconds left in the second period, he scored a takedown to build a 3-0 edge; he rode out Mutchnik the rest of the way to secure the extra point.
• Smith is now 100-34 in his collegiate career, giving him a winning percentage of .746 that stands 10th in school history.
• Before Smith, the most recent Bison to hit the century mark was Victor Lopez. Lopez, a 2017 graduate, is currently slotted in a tie for seventh with 108 career wins.
Smith's Win Streak in Duals Reaches 24
• Tyler Smith has now won 24-straight dual bouts dating back to Jan. 14, 2017. He is 14-0 in 2017-18 and closed out the 2016-17 campaign on a 10-bout winning streak in dual competition.
• Smith last fell in a dual on Jan. 13, 2017 to Virginia's George DiCamillo, who was ranked seventh by Intermat at the time.
• Over the course of his winning streak, Smith racked up bonus points in 16 bouts, winning four by fall, four by technical fall and eight by major decision. Three of his victories came against ranked opponents: a 14-10 sudden victory decision over No. 16 Logan Everett of Army West Point (Feb. 12, 2017), an 11-2 major decision over No. 19 Russell Rohlfing of CSU Bakersfield (Nov. 5, 2017) and a 5-2 decision over No. 16 Nick Zanetta of Pitt (Dec. 17, 2017).
Army West Point at a Glance
• The Black Knights are currently 1-6 (0-3 EIWA) on the season. They most recently competed at the All-Academy Championships on Jan. 27, where they placed second behind Navy.
• Trey Chalifoux (125) and Lane Peters (133) won individual titles at the All-Academy Championships, which featured eight service academies: Air Force, Army, The Citadel, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine, Navy, Norwich and VMI.
• Army West Point leads the all-time series with Bucknell, 11-4.
• The Bison won their second-straight dual against the Black Knights on Feb. 12, 2017. Garrett Hoffman (184), Tom Sleigh (197) and Tyler Greene (285) took their bouts to close out the dual, lifting Bucknell to a 22-16 victory. Tyler Smith (141) also won a thrilling bout with Logan Everett, who was ranked No. 16 by Intermat at the time. Smith edged Everett in sudden victory overtime, 14-10.
A Look Ahead
• The Bison conclude dual competition against Bloomsburg on Saturday, Feb. 17 at 7 p.m. Before the dual, they will recognize seniors Collin Boylan, Chad Reese, Tom Sleigh, Tyler Smith, Zach Valley and Connor Wagh.