LEWISBURG, Pa. – The No. 20 Bucknell men's lacrosse team welcomes Navy to Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium on Saturday, March 3 at 1 p.m.
The Bison, who entered the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) Coaches' Poll for the first time since the 2016 campaign this week, will look to carry the momentum from their thrilling upset of then No. 18/20 Colgate into their game against the Midshipmen.
Navy (2-2, 1-0 Patriot League) vs. No. 20/- Bucknell (3-1, 1-0 Patriot League)
When: Saturday, March 3 – 1 p.m.
Where: Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium – Lewisburg, Pa.
Internet Video: Patriot League Network
Live Stats: BucknellBison.com
Follow on Twitter: @Bucknell_MLAX
Bucknell at a Glance
• The Bison men's lacrosse team is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2018. Established in 1968, the program has compiled a 363-347 all-time record with Sid Jamieson (1968-2005) and Frank Fedorjaka (2006-present) at the helm.
• Bucknell is 3-1 (1-0 Patriot League) on the season. The Bison were ranked No. 20 in this week's USILA Coaches' Poll and received votes in the Inside Lacrosse Maverik Media Listing; it is their first national ranking since Feb. 22, 2016, when they were tabbed 20th in both the USILA Coaches' Poll and the Inside Lacrosse Cascade/Maverik Media Poll.
• In 2017, Bucknell went 5-8 (3-5 Patriot League), coming up a single game short of qualifying for its 11th-straight Patriot League Tournament.
• The Bison, who finished tied for seventh in the Patriot League a year ago, were picked to place fourth in the 2018 preseason poll, as voted on by the league’s coaches and sports information directors.
• Bucknell returns four All-Patriot League selections in Matt Gilray (2nd '17, '16), Christian Klipstein (2nd '17, '16), Sean O'Brien (1st '17) and Will Sands (1st '17, 2nd '16). All four were voted to the 2018 Preseason All-Patriot League team, giving the Bison the league-high total.
• Bucknell's captains are seniors Sands, Gilray, O'Brien and Benny Borgognone.
• Fedorjaka, who is in his 13th season as head coach, owns a 114-71 record. In Patriot League action, he has gone 51-30, leading the Bison to perfect 6-0 records in 2009 and 2011.
Inside the Colgate Box Score
• Bucknell handed then No. 18/20 Colgate its first loss of the season to open Patriot League play on Feb. 24. The Bison's 13-10 victory also snapped a six-game losing slide to the Raiders.
• Will Sands (3g-4a), Connor O'Hara (4g) and Sean O'Brien (3g) led the attack while Christian Klipstein made 12 saves, including five in the second half with Bucknell defending an advantage.
• The Bison erased an early three-goal deficit and then rallied from down two. At the 1:14 mark of the second quarter, Tom Smith gave Bucknell a 6-5 edge, its first advantage of the contest. From that point on, the Bison wouldn't allow Colgate to draw even again.
• During the game, Sands reached three career milestones. Most notably, he became only the fifth Bison to register 100 assists in his career. He also moved to fourth in school history in career points (195) and entered a tie for 10th in career goals (92).
• For their role in Bucknell's upset, Sands (Offensive Player of the Week) and Klipstein (Goalkeeper of the Week) captured Patriot League weekly laurels.
• Sands has been honored as the Patriot League Offensive Player of the Week three times in the season's first four weeks. Entering the 2018 campaign, he had only earned this award once, on March 20, 2017 after notching six points (3g-3a) in the Bison's 12-6 win at then No. 15 Boston University.
Navy at a Glance
• Navy is currently 2-2 (1-0 Patriot League). The Midshipmen began Patriot League action with a 10-8 victory at Boston University on Feb. 24.
• In the 2018 Patriot League preseason poll, Navy was picked to finish third. Midfielders Greyson Torain and Casey Rees were voted to the Preseason All-Patriot League Team.
• The Midshipmen went 6-8 (4-4 Patriot League) in 2017. They placed fourth in the Patriot League but fell to fifth-seeded Holy Cross, 11-7, in the Patriot League quarterfinals.
• Through four games, only one Navy player has reached the double digits in points: Torain (6g-4a).
• Defense has been the Midshipmen's strength; goalkeeper Ryan Kern boasts an 8.75 goals against average and 38 saves while four players have collected at least 10 ground balls.
• Navy has held three of its four opponents to 10 or fewer goals, including two under 10.
The Bucknell/Navy Series
• Navy leads the all-time series, 9-8, and topped Bucknell in their past two meetings.
• Five of the Bison's wins came in a row between 2011 and 2015.
• The Midshipmen won the 2017 contest, 13-7, using a 5-0 run that covered the bulk of the second and third quarters to pull away from Bucknell. Connor O'Hara (4g) and Will Sands (1g-3a) both had four-point outings while Christian Klipstein stopped 10 shots.
Will Sands Closes in on 200-Point Threshold
• Will Sands enters Saturday's game needing just five points to become the third Bison to record 200 over the course of his career.
• Sands, who is averaging 6.75 points per game in 2018, will join elite company in Chris Cara (2002-05, 249 points) and Pete von Hoffmann (1976-79, 220 points). Both are members of the Bucknell Athletics Hall of Fame.
Bison in the NCAA Top 10 (as of Feb. 28)
• Will Sands: Second in assists (17) and points (27)
• Will Sands: Fourth in assists per game (4.25) and points per game (6.75)
• Connor O'Hara: Tied for fifth in goals (13)
• Goals: Connor O'Hara (13)
• Assists: Will Sands (17)
• Points: Will Sands (27)
• Shots: Sean O'Brien (41)
• Ground balls: Matt Gilray (14)
• Caused turnovers: Benny Borgognone (5)
• Face-off wins: Jarett Witzal (45)
• Face-off percentage: Jarett Witzal (.469)
• Save Percentage: Ben Clark (.571)
• Goals Against Average: Ben Clark (6.50)
• Saves: Christian Klipstein (29)
Career Milestones Met at Colgate
• Will Sands: Became the fifth Bison to record 100 assists in his career; now has 103
• Will Sands: Moved into fourth in school history in points (195)
• Will Sands: Entered tie for 10th in school history in goals (92)
• Jarett Witzal: Took 10th in school history in ground balls (139)
Career Milestone Watch
• Matt Gilray: Needs five ground balls to crack Bucknell’s top 10 with 139
• Christian Klipstein: Needs 48 saves to crack Bucknell’s top 10 with 375
• Will Sands: Needs one point to move to third with 196
• Will Sands: Needs two goals to move to ninth with 94; needs five to move to eighth with 97
• Will Sands: Needs five points to become the third Bison to record 200 in his career
• Will Sands: Needs 14 assists to move to fourth with 117
• Will Sands: Needs 32 shots to crack Bucknell’s top five with 279
• Jarett Witzal: Needs one ground ball to move to ninth; needs five to move to eighth
• Jarett Witzal: Needs 12 face-off attempts to move to second (622) in school history
• Jarett Witzal: Needs 76 face-off wins to claim the school record from Jake Clarke (422)
A Look Ahead
• The Bison hit the road to face off against Holy Cross on Saturday, March 10 at 1 p.m.