WEST POINT, N.Y. – The Bucknell women’s tennis season came to a close Friday with a 4-0 loss to fourth-seeded Lehigh in the quarterfinal round of the Patriot League Tournament at Army West Point’s Lichtenberg Tennis Center.
“It was a well-played match by both teams, but Lehigh just had a little bit of an edge in closing out points,” Bucknell head coach Rebecca Helt said. “It was a really fun match to watch.”
The Bison, who entered the tournament as the fifth seed, finished the year with a solid record of 14-8 overall. It is the team’s third straight season with double-digit victories.
“I’m so proud of the progress we made this year. It was a huge turnaround from last season,” Helt said.
Freshman Sofia Ayuso, who had a win against the Mountain Hawks during the regular season, was leading her match on court five, 7-6 (4), 4-3, but the contest went unfinished. She ends a great freshman season with a record of 12-2.
Jouravleva wraps up a prolific career for the Bison. She will leave the program with the ninth most singles wins with a record of 62-32, the 13th most doubles victories with a record of 48-40, and the 11th most combined wins with a record of 110-72.
Lehigh (11-9) advances to the semifinal round, where they will take on top-seeded Navy on Saturday.
SINGLES (Order: 6, 2, 1)
1. Christina Auyeung (L) def. Lisa Jouravleva (B), 6-2, 6-4
2. Paula Gonzalez (L) def. Paige Leavy (B), 6-3, 7-5
3. Sibel Can (L) vs. Mishi Papich (B), 7-6(5), 4-3 DNF
4. Grace Lin (L) vs. Cayla Koch (B), 7-5, 1-6 DNF
5. Sofia Ayuso (B) vs. Casey Zhong (L) 7-6(4), 4-3 DNF
6. Breezy Maravich (L) def. Rachel Carroll (B), 6-2, 6-1
DOUBLES (Order: 2, 3)
1. Lisa Jouravleva/Paige Leavy (B) vs. Christina Auyeung/Casey Zhong (L), 5-4 DNF
2. Paula Gonzalez/Sibel Can (L) def. Cayla Koch/Emilie Bush (B), 6-1
3. Grace Lin/Breezy Maravich (L) def. Mishi Papich/Sofia Ayuso (B), 6-2