Setting the Scene
What: IC4A Outdoor Championships
When: May 12-13
Where: Weaver Stadium - Princeton, N.J.
Schedule/Live Results: ECACSports.com
About the Bison/Last Time Out
• Bucknell is back in action after a strong performance at the Patriot League Championships last weekend at Lafayette. The young-but-talented Bison finished in a solid third place in the nine-team field.
• The Bison will have competitors in 14 events at the IC4A Championships, with action starting at 10 a.m. Saturday at 9:30 a.m. Sunday at Princeton's Weaver Stadium. The men's IC4A meet, featuring top competitors from many Eastern programs, runs concurrently with the women's ECAC Championships.
• Headlining Bucknell's contingent is junior sprinter Billy Melchionni, who is coming off a scintillating performance at last week's Patriot League meet. Melchionni won the 200 and 400-meter dashes, setting a school record in the 200, and then he anchored the 4x400 relay that closed out the meet with another gold medal. Melchionni earned Track Athlete of the Meet honors for the second year in a row.
• Sophomore Steve Rizio and freshman twins Alex Dessoye and Robert Dessoye joined Melchionni on that winning 4x400 relay, and that foursome will be back in action this weekend.
• Melchionni is also expected to anchor the 4x100 relay, joined by Alex Dessoye and soophomores Ryquan Harris and Jeffrey Brown. That foursome took fourth at Patriot Leagues and posted the fifth-fastest time in school history.
• Senior Nicholas Lombardo is one of the top jumpers in school history, and he will be entered in the high jump, long jump and triple jump at IC4As. Lombardo, who is the school-record holder in the high jump and the No. 2 all-time performer in the long jump, is coming off a pair of runner-up finishes in those two events at the Patriot League Championships. He is the defending IC4A Champion in the long jump.
• Bucknell will also send out junior Matthew Fay and freshman Nicholas Marino in the pole vault. The duo ranks 1-2 in school history in the event, with Fay closing in on becoming the first in school history to clear 17 feet.
• Freshman Connor McMenamin will compete in the steeplechase after his runner-up performance in his Patriot League Outdoor Championship debut. Also representing the distance contingent is sophomore Drew Dorflinger, who will run in the 5,000 meters.
• The Bison will have three competitors in the javelin throw. Freshman Aidan Krombolz has the team's top throw this season at 209-11, which is seventh-best in school history. Junior Terry Hall and freshman Jordan Montero will also compete.
• The Bison are currently ranked 12th in the Mid-Atlantic Region.
The 2017 IC4A Championships
• A year ago at Princeton, the Bison earned All-East accolades in seven events, including in two relays. Bucknell finished sixth in the team standings, scoring 39 points.
• Lombardo was the headliner with a gold medal in the long jump and a fifth-place finish in the high jump. Lombardo became the sixth Bison in school history and the first since Andrew Garrison-Garcia in 2014 to win an individual title at IC4As. He recorded a leap of 24-6 ½, tying Tim Henkel (1998) for the second-best mark in Bucknell history. That is still Lombardo's PR.
• Other All-East performers for the Bison were Fay (2nd, pole vault), Melchionni (3rd, 400m), Dorflinger (6th, 1500m) and the 4x100 (8th) and 4x800 (4th) relays.
2018 IC4A Qualifiers (^ denotes event athlete will compete in)
• Steve Bolger (long jump^)
• Will Bordash (1,500)
• Brendan Bodisch (long jump^)
• Jeffrey Brown (100^, 200)
• Bo Burleigh (javelin)
• Alex Dessoye (200^, 400^)
• Drew Dorflinger (1500, 5000^)
• Matthew Fay (pole vault^)
• Scott Gulizio (800^)
• Terry Hall (javelin^)
• Reggie Harris (triple jump^)
• Ryquan Harris (100^, 200^)
• Aidan Krombolz (javelin^)
• Nicholas Lombardo (long jump^, triple jump^, high jump^)
• Nicholas Marino (pole vault^)
• Billy Melchionni (200^, 400^)
• Connor McMenamin (3000 steeple^, 5000)
• Jordan Montero (javelin^)
• Micah Sims (long jump^)
• 4x100 relay^
• 4x400 relay
• 4x800 relay^
A Look Ahead
• Bison who qualify for the NCAA East Preliminary Meet will compete on May 24-26 in Tampa, Fla. for a spot at the 2018 NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships.