Setting The Scene
What: 2017 Cornell Invitational
When: Saturday-Sunday, Sept. 16-17 (54 holes)
Where: Par-71, 6,904-yard Robert Trent Jones GC, Ithaca, N.Y.
The Field: 16 teams (Binghamton, Brown, Bucknell, Canisius, Colgate, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Delaware, Drexel, Penn, St. Bonaventure, St. Joseph’s, Siena, Temple and Yale)
Live Stats: GolfStat.com
About the Bison
• Seniors Jack Gregor and J.B. Thompson will make their season debuts this weekend. They will be joined by freshman Chris Tanabe, who was the low Bison at Colgate last week, and juniors Connor O'Brien and Ashton Radvansky.
• Bucknell finished in eighth place in a tightly bunched 15-team field last week at Seven Oaks GC.
• Tanabe secured his first collegiate top-20 finish (T-16th) with rounds of 77-75-71. Bucknell's second-round 299 was the team's best score of the season thus far. Tanabe is the lone Bison to appear in the five-man lineup in each of the first three events of the season.
• Bucknell has claimed two sub-par rounds thus far: Tanabe's 1-under 71 last week at Colgate and J.P. Raftery's 1-under 71 at Turning Stone. Both came in the second round of a 36-hole day.
Bucknell at the Cornell Invitational
• Bucknell has been a regular at this event, appearing every year since 2003.
• The Bison have finished among the top five teams at the Cornell Invitational seven times in the previous 14 appearances, including a runner-up finish in 2009. Brian Bartow and Andrew Cohen finished 1-2 in the individual standings that year, as Bucknell finished second to Binghamton.
• Last year, Bucknell placed sixth, posting rounds of 315-287-292. Jubal Early (77-70-73) was Bucknell's top finisher at +7, good for a T-8th finish. O'Brien (79-75-70), Radvansky (80-72-75) and Thompson (81-70-79) are the three members of this week's lineup who also played here last season. All three finished strong after struggling in the opening round.
• Bucknell's busy fall schedule takes the team up to Quechee (Vt.) Club for the Dartmouth Invitational next Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 23-24.