Setting the Scene
What: Dickinson Long-Short Invitational
When: Saturday, Sept. 30 | 6k race (11:15 a.m.), 4k race (12:30 p.m.)
Where: Big Spring High School (Newville, Pa.)
About the Bison
• After a year break, Bucknell will once again compete at the Dickinson Long-Short Invitational. The Bison ran at the event in 2014 and 2015.
• Bucknell most recently ran at the Virginia/Panorama Farms Invitational. The Bison finished sixth out of 11 teams. Virginia won the race, while No. 29 Yale was the runner-up.
• Senior Christine Bendzinski was named the Patriot League Runner of the Week after finishing ninth out of 98 runners at Virginia. She has won the award following all three of Bucknell’s events this season.
• Freshman Ashley Blair was named the Patriot League Rookie of the Week after taking 47th at Virginia.
• Also scoring for the Bison at Virginia were junior Colleen Buckley (22nd), junior Jenna Farmer (30th), and sophomore Lauren Gronbeck (51st).
• Bucknell is ranked eighth in the Mid-Atlantic Region. The Bison jumped Lehigh in the rankings and are now the top Patriot League team in the region.
Quote (Head Coach Kevin Donner)
“This meet is a great opportunity to rest some of our top people and give our reserves some racing experience. We have a few top-end runners who have been injured opening up their season, and I am excited to see how they do. Traditionally, we have had people from this meet work their way into our NCAA lineup by the end of the year, and I believe it may happen again. I also like the long course/short course system which allows some of our middle distance, less experienced runners, or runners coming back from injury to race a shorter distance.”
Bucknell Recent History at Dickinson
• The Bison last competed at the Dickinson Long-Short Invitational in 2015, when they only ran the 4k race. They took the top four spots, including a third-place finish by Christine Bendzinski. Christine O’Kane finished 11th.
• Bucknell competed in both the 4k and 6k races in 2014. Bendzinski was the runner-up in the 6k race, while Emma Cousins finished seventh.
• The Bison will compete at the Penn State National Open on Friday, Oct. 13, and the Leopard Invitational on Saturday, Oct. 14.