LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Bucknell wrestling team will travel to Annapolis, Md. for a 2 p.m. dual against Navy on Sunday.
The Bison, who haven't faced the Midshipmen since 2009, are coming off a first-place finish at the Lock Haven Classic on Dec. 29. In addition, Tyler Smith put together a 5-1 record to place third in the 141-pound weight class at the prestigious Ken Kraft Midlands Championships on Dec. 29-30.
Bucknell (1-4, 0-1 EIWA) vs. Navy (3-0, 1-0 EIWA)
When: Sunday, Jan. 7 – 2 p.m.
Where: Wesley Brown Field House – Annapolis, Md.
Follow on Twitter: @Bucknell_WRST
Projected Bucknell Lineup
125: Geo Barzona (6-5)
133: Joey Gould (0-1)
141: #13/11/13 Tyler Smith (12-3)
149: Seth Hogue (8-10)
157: Christian Bassolino (3-11)
165: D.J. Hollingshead (10-6)
174: Nick Stephani (8-8)
184: Drew Phipps (11-6)
197: Garrett Hoffman (8-5)
285: Brandon Stokes (6-7)
Projected Navy Lineup
125: Aslan Kilic (5-5)
133: Cody Trybus (8-8)
141: #-/14/- Nicholas Gil (19-4)
149: #11/-/- Jared Prince (5-1) or Corey Wilding (15-6)
157: Zack Davis (16-7)
165: Drew Daniels (13-2)
174: #8/8/8 Jadaen Bernstein (15-3)
184: #17/16/19 Michael Coleman (18-5)
197: Steban Cervantes (6-4) or Joshua Roetman (7-5)
285: Austin Faunce (10-7)
Note: 2017-18 record in parentheses; rankings are Intermat/The Open Mat/FloWrestling
Bucknell at a Glance
• The Bison are currently 1-4 (0-1 EIWA). Three of their five opponents were ranked at the time of their meeting, including two in the top 10.
• In its most recent dual, Bucknell defeated Pitt, 20-16, on Dec. 17. After ceding the Panthers a 7-0 lead through the first two bouts, the Bison roared back, winning six of the next seven to secure their victory before the heavyweights took the mat.
• Bucknell won the Lock Haven Classic on Dec. 29. Matthew Kolonia (141), D.J. Hollingshead (165) and Garrett Hoffman (197) captured individual titles while eight other Bison finished as placewinners.
• Tyler Smith, who went 5-1 en route to a third-place finish in the 141-pound weight class at the Midlands Championships on Dec. 29-30, is Bucknell's leader with 12 victories in 2017-18. He also boasts a team-best four wins by major decision.
• Drew Phipps (11, 184/197), Frankie Guida, Jr. (10, 174), Hollingshead (10, 165) and Kolonia (10, 141/149) also reached the double digits in wins before the New Year.
• Kolonia leads the Bison with five victories by fall. He and Phipps are the lone Bison to win at least one bout in 2017-18 by fall, technical fall and major decision to date.
Wrestling Wins Back-to-Back Bison Athlete of the Week Awards
• Nick Stephani (Dec. 18) and Tyler Smith (Jan. 1) were the most recent student-athletes to be honored as the Bison Athlete of the Week.
• Stephani was recognized for his role in Bucknell's 20-16 victory over Pitt on Dec. 17. At 174 pounds, he defeated Austin Bell by an 8-5 decision to give the Bison a 14-10 advantage
• Smith captured his second career Bison Athlete of the Week award on the strength of his performance at the Midlands Championships, where he finished third with a 5-1 record.
• Smith clinched his bronze medal with a 10-4 victory over Purdue's Nate Limmex. That win was also the 90th of his collegiate career; the 11th Bison to reach the 90-victory plateau, his .726 career winning percentage stands 12th in school history.
• With Smith's recognition, the wrestling team became the first in 2017-18 to win back-to-back Bison Athlete of the Week awards.
• Last year, the men's water polo (Rade Joksimovic on Sept. 18 and Sept. 25), women's basketball (Kaitlyn Slagus on Dec. 18, Claire DeBoer on Jan. 2) and baseball (Mike Castellani on May 14, Sam Clark on May 21) squads accomplished this feat.
• Tyler Smith checks in at No. 13, 11 and 13 respectively in the most recent Intermat, The Open Mat and FloWrestling rankings.
Navy at a Glance
• The Midshipmen are currently 3-0 (1-0 EIWA). They most recently competed at the Southern Scuffle on Jan. 1-2, where they placed fourth out of 24 teams.
• Five Midshipmen placed in the top six in their respective weight classes, led by Jared Prince, who took third at 149 with a 5-1 record.
• Four Midshipmen currently hold national rankings from either Intermat, The Open Mat or FloWrestling: Nicholas Gil (141), Jared Prince (149), Jadaen Bernstein (174) and Michael Coleman (184).
• Navy leads the all-time series with Bucknell, 20-1. The teams last squared off at the Virginia Duals on Jan. 10, 2009, with the Midshipmen pulling off a tight 18-12 victory. All 10 weight classes were decided by decision, including three by a single point.
• The Bison last defeated the Midshipmen in 1986, scoring a 19-12 win.
A Look Ahead
• The Bison will attend the Virginia Duals on Jan. 12-13. They then open a two-game home stand, hosting Harvard (Jan. 19 at 7 p.m.) and Brown (Jan. 20 at 6 p.m.) in Davis Gym.