Setting the Scene
What: Bucknell Fall Invite
When: Friday (2 p.m.), Saturday (9 a.m.), Sunday (9 a.m.)
Where: Varsity Courts (Lewisburg, Pa.)
Teams: Bucknell, Delaware, Hofstra, Howard, Lafayette, Loyola (Md.), Mount St. Mary’s, Saint Francis
About the Bison
• Bucknell returns eight players that played in at least five matches during the 2017 spring season – Timber Erskine, Ben Gerber, Max Haase, Max Kane, Max McDonald, Colin Sacco, Andrei Vitiuc, Daniel Wright.
• Ben Gerber (9-8) and Colin Sacco (6-3) had winning records during the spring.
• The Bison won three individual tournament titles and one doubles title during the fall season last year. Wright and McDonald won singles, and Wright teamed with Erskine to win doubles at the Bucknell Fall Invite. Kane won the singles title at the Joe Hunt Invitational at Navy.
• Wright was a First Team All-Patriot League selection last season.
• Bucknell was an ITA All-Academic Team after posting a team GPA of 3.39 last year. The Bison had five players earn ITA Scholar-Athlete status.
Scouting the Opponents
• Delaware went 9-18 overall and 0-3 in the CAA last season before falling to UNCW in the quarterfinal round of the conference tournament.
• Hofstra went 9-16 overall and 1-2 in the CAA last season before losing to Elon in the quarterfinal round of the conference tournament.
• Howard went 1-13 overall and 1-3 in the MEAC before falling to South Carolina State in the quarterfinal round of the conference tournament.
• Lafayette went 7-16 overall and 1-5 in the Patriot League before losing to Army West Point in the quarterfinal round of the conference Tournament.
• Loyola (Md.) went 7-9 overall and 2-2 in the Patriot League before falling to Navy in the quarterfinal round of the conference tournament. Blest Jones was a Second Team All-Patriot League selection.
• Mount St. Mary’s went 6-13 overall and 1-4 in the NEC before losing to Fairleigh Dickinson in the conference tournament.
• Saint Francis went 15-5 overall and 4-0 in the NEC last season before losing to Bryant in the championship match of the conference tournament. Franz Luna was the NEC Rookie of the Year and First Team All-NEC. Arturo Dell’eva and Alec Dylan Foo-Kane were Second Team All-NEC honorees.
• Bucknell will play at the Purdue Invitational on Sept. 15-17.