Setting the Scene
(Saturday, Oct. 7 – Noon)
What: Bucknell (8-8, 2-2 PL) at Navy (14-3, 4-0 PL)
Where: Wesley A. Brown Field House (Annapolis, Md.)
Live Stats: NavySports.com
Note: Navy will offer a free shuttle bus for fans that will pick up at the Navy Medical Clinic, 695 Kinkaid Road in Annapolis.
About the Bison
• Bucknell is 8-8 overall and 2-2 in the Patriot League after splitting matches against Lafayette and Lehigh last weekend. The Bison swept the Leopards 3-0 before falling to the Mountain Hawks 3-0.
• The Bison hit .356 as a team in the win over Lafayette, led by senior Celeste Barker with seven kills and a .455 hitting percentage. Also contributing were junior Blake Buchholz (nine kills, .421 hitting), senior Hailey Stout (six kills, .429 hitting), and sophomore Mimi Richards (10 kills, .368 hitting).
• Senior Luz Nagle chipped in with three kills on just three attacks and added 17 assists.
• Richards totaled 14 total blocks over the two matches last week, giving her 78 for the season. She needs 10 more to move into a tie for fifth on Bucknell’s single-season record book.
• Richards leads the Patriot League and ranks ninth in the nation in blocks/set (1.55). Bucknell leads the league and ranks 29th in the same category.
• The Bison will have their work cut out for them while trying to keep up that pace. They play the teams ranked first and second in the Patriot League in fewest blocks allowed.
• Navy is 14-3 overall and 4-0 in the Patriot League with five straight wins over UNCG (3-0), Loyola (3-0), American (3-1), Colgate (3-0), and Holy Cross (3-0).
• The Mids swept the most recent Patriot League weekly awards. Maggie Phillips was named the Player of the Week, while Maddi Sgattoni was tabbed as the Rookie of the Week.
• Navy leads the conference in hitting percentage (.254) and assists/set (13.07).
Series History with Navy
• Navy leads 29-22 in a series that began in 1981.
• The Mids have won each of the past three meetings.
• The Bison last won 3-2 in the first of two matches in 2015. Blake Buchholz had 13 kills and 16 digs in the win.
• Loyola is 8-9 overall and 2-2 in the Patriot League after back-to-back wins over Army West Point and Colgate, the teams picked to finish second and third in the conference prior to the season.
• The Greyhounds play at Lehigh on Saturday.
• Loyola ranks second in the league in fewest opponent blocks/set (1.76).
Series History with Loyola
• Bucknell leads 12-8 in a series that began in 1984.
• The Greyhounds won the most recent match last season, but the Bison have won five of the past six.
• The Bison will host American on Friday, Oct. 13, and Holy Cross on Saturday, Oct. 14.