LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Bucknell wrestling team will compete at the Cliff Keen Invitational in Las Vegas, N.V. on Friday and Saturday.
The preliminary rounds begin on Friday at 12 p.m. EST (9 a.m. PST), and the championship rounds are slated for Saturday at 6 p.m. EST (3 p.m. PST). The full schedule can be viewed on the Cliff Keen Invitational website.
Fifteen teams ranked in the most recent USA Today/NWCA Coaches poll are set to attend the Cliff Keen Invitational, including four in the top 10. More than 100 ranked wrestlers, over 50 percent of the NCAA total, are expected to take the mat at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
2017 Cliff Keen Invitational
When: Friday, Dec. 1 and Saturday, Dec. 2
Where: Las Vegas Convention Center – Las Vegas, N.V.
Participating Teams: Air Force, American, #12 Arizona State, Army, Binghamton, Brown, Bucknell, Cal Poly, California Baptist, CSU Bakersfield, #19 Central Michigan, Columbia, #14 Cornell, Drexel, Duke, Eastern Michigan, #23 Edinboro, Embry Riddle, Fresno University, Harvard, Iowa State, Kent State, #8 Minnesota, Navy, #13 Nebraska, Nebraska Kearney, North Carolina, North Dakota State, North Idaho College, #16 Northern Iowa, Northern Colorado, #2 Ohio State, #21 Oklahoma, Oregon State, #24 Pitt, #20 Purdue, #25 Stanford, #9 Michigan, Michigan State, Utah Valley, Virginia, #10 Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Western Wyoming, #18 Wisconsin, Wyoming
Invitational Website: CKLVWrestle.com
Live Results: FloWrestling.org
Online Video: FloWrestling.org ($)
Follow on Twitter: @Bucknell_WRST
Bison Projected to Attend
125: Jakob Campbell (3-5)
133: David Campbell (0-6)
141: No. 17/14/13 Tyler Smith (6-2)
149: Seth Hogue (4-6)
157: Christian Bassolino (2-6)
165: D.J. Hollingshead (4-4)
174: Nick Stephani (3-5)
184: Drew Phipps (5-3)
197: Garrett Hoffman (3-3)
285: Eric Chakonis (2-6)
Note: 2017-18 record in parentheses; rankings are Intermat/The Open Mat/FloWrestling
A Look Back at the Last Events
• Bucknell attended the Navy Classic on Nov. 18 in Annapolis, Md. Eighteen wrestlers competed for the Bison, who finished 13th in the team standings.
• Drew Phipps (3rd at 184), Tyler Smith (4th at 141) and D.J. Hollingshead (6th at 165) were Bucknell's placewinners.
• Phipps, a runner-up at the 2016 Navy Classic, went 4-1 en route to his third-place finish.
• After losing his first match of the day, Hollingshead rolled off four-straight victories in the consolation bracket to advance to the fifth-place match. He ultimately fell to Ohio's Austin Reese to take sixth.
• Smith, the defending Navy Classic champion at 141, went 3-2 on the day. His winning streak was ultimately snapped at six in the semifinals by Ohio Dominion's Alex Madrigal.
• A group of Bison competed unattached at the Mat-Towne Open on Nov. 26 in Lock Haven, Pa. Jack Mulay (2nd at 165), Seth Hogue (3rd at 149), Geo Barzona (4th at 125) and Matthew Kolonia (4th at 149) were placewinners at that event.
Bucknell at a Glance
• The Bison are currently 0-4 (0-1 EIWA) this season. Three of their four opponents were ranked at the time of their meeting.
• Bucknell went 12-4 (9-1 EIWA) in 2016-17
• The Bison closed the 2016-17 regular-season portion of their schedule on a 10-match winning streak, one victory shy of the school record that spanned parts of the 1987-88 and 1988-89 campaigns.
• Bucknell hosted the EIWA Championships and placed sixth, with Tom Sleigh (197) and Tyler Smith (141) earning auto bids to the 2017 NCAA Wrestling Championships after finishing second and fourth respectively.
• Sleigh and Smith, both three-time NCAA qualifiers, were joined at the national championships by at-large selections Victor Lopez (157) and Garrett Hoffman (184).
• With Hoffman, Sleigh and Smith back in 2017-18, the Bison boast a combined seven NCAA appearances.
• Dan Wirnsberger, who has led Bucknell since 2005, entered the 2017-18 campaign with 110 victories. He is just one of two Bison coaches to eclipse the 100-win plateau, joining Bob Ferraro, who compiled a 169-175-6 record from 1974 to 1997.
• Tyler Smith checks in at No. 17, 14 and 13 respectively in this week's Intermat, The Open Mat and FloWrestling rankings.
The 2016 Cliff Keen Invitational
• Victor Lopez (4th at 157) and Tom Sleigh (7th at 197) were Bucknell's placewinners at the 2016 Cliff Keen Invitational. Lopez entered the event as a third seed while Sleigh was a sixth seed.
• Lopez finished the weekend with a 6-2 record, with three of his victories coming against seeded foes.
• Sleigh went 3-2 at the two-day event. He reached the quarterfinals of the championship bracket before being sent to the consolation bracket by third-seeded Jacob Smith of West Virginia.
• Tyler Smith (141), who took sixth at the 2015 rendition, finished one victory shy of earning placewinner status in 2016. He was a fifth seed.
A Look Ahead
• The Bison will host Pitt, currently slotted 24th in the nation, on Sunday, Dec. 17 at 2 p.m. in Sojka Pavilion.