LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Bucknell wrestling team is set to participate in the Virginia Duals on Friday and Saturday in Hampton, Va.
The Bison will face stiff competition on Friday. Placed in the four-team York River Pool, they will square off against Oklahoma (9 a.m.), Fresno State (11 a.m.) and No. 20 Lock Haven (1 p.m.).
A total of 13 teams are in the Virginia Duals' National College Division. Of that number, four were ranked in the most recent USA Today/NWCA Coaches poll, with one (Oklahoma) having fallen out of the top 25 this week.
2018 Virginia Duals
When: Friday, Jan. 12 and Saturday, Jan. 13
Where: Hampton Coliseum – Hampton, Va.
Participating Teams: #10 Arizona State, Campbell, Chattanooga, Fresno State, Iowa State, Kent State, #20 Lock Haven, #11 Northern Iowa, Oklahoma, Old Dominion, Virginia, #9 Virginia Tech
Event Website: VirginiaDuals.MattalkOnline.com
Live Results: TrackWrestling.com
Online Video: TrackWrestling.com ($)
Follow on Twitter: @Bucknell_WRST
Bison Projected to Attend
125: Geo Barzona (6-6)
133: Joey Gould (0-1) and David Campbell (1-12)
141: No. 14/12/13 Tyler Smith (13-3) and Matthew Kolonia (12-9)
149: Seth Hogue (8-11)
157: Christian Bassolino (3-12) and Jack Mulay (10-9)
165: D.J. Hollingshead (10-7)
174: Nick Stephani (8-9) and Frankie Guida, Jr. (13-12)
184: Drew Phipps (12-6)
197: Garrett Hoffman (9-5)
285: Brandon Stokes (6-8)
Note: 2017-18 record in parentheses; rankings are Intermat/The Open Mat/FloWrestling
Bucknell at a Glance
• The Bison are currently 1-5 (0-2 EIWA). Three of their six opponents were ranked at the time of their meeting, including two in the top 10.
• In its most recent dual, Bucknell fell to Navy, 26-10, on Jan. 7. Despite victories by Tyler Smith, Drew Phipps and Garrett Hoffman, the Bison couldn't hand the Midshipmen their first loss of the 2017-18 campaign.
• Smith moved to 91-31 in his collegiate career with his 4-1 victory over Nicholas Gil during the Navy dual. He ranks 11th in Bucknell history in career wins and 10th in career winning percentage (.746).
• Smith, who is a perfect 5-0 in dual action, is tied with Frankie Guida, Jr. for the team lead with 13 victories this season. He and Phipps each boast a team-high four wins by major decision.
• Matthew Kolonia (5) and Hoffman (3) are the only Bison with more than one pin to date.
• Nineteen different Bison have started in dual competition this season. Of that group, only Seth Hogue (149) and Nick Stephani (174) have started every match at his respective weight class. Jakob Campbell (125), David Campbell (133), Smith (141) and Phipps (184/197) have started during all but one match to date.
• Tyler Smith checks in at No. 14, 12 and 13 respectively in the most recent Intermat, The Open Mat and FloWrestling rankings.
Oklahoma at a Glance
• The Sooners are currently 2-4 (0-1 Big 12). They fell out of the national rankings, from their No. 18 spot, after dropping a 19-18 decision to Pitt on Jan. 7.
• Entering the heavyweight bout, Oklahoma held an 18-13 edge. No. 15 Ryan Solomon sealed the win for the Panthers by pinning Connor Webb in 3:51.
• Christian Moody (125, No. 19) and Yoanse Mejias (174, No. 11) appeared in the most recent Intermat rankings.
• The Sooners defeated the Bison in their previous three meetings, including the most recent on Jan. 15, 2016 by a tight 23-21 decision.
• This will be the first time Bucknell will face an unranked Oklahoma team. The Sooners were ranked No. 9 at the time of their 2016 meeting, No. 5 at the time of their Nov. 17, 2013 contest (6-38) and No. 10 at the time of their Jan. 8, 2010 match at the Virginia Duals (7-28).
Fresno State at a Glance
• The Bulldogs are currently 2-5 (0-1 Big 12).
• In its most recent dual, Fresno State topped Cal Poly, 29-13, on Jan. 4 to halt a five-match losing slide.
• This will be only the second meeting between the Bison and Bulldogs.
• Fresno State defeated Bucknell, 25-19, on Jan. 18, 1991.
No. 20 Lock Haven at a Glance
• The Bald Eagles are currently 4-0 (1-0 EWL). They moved up to No. 20 from No. 22 in the most recent national rankings after placing 10th at the prestigious Southern Scuffle on Jan. 1-2 behind three placewinning performances.
• Chance Marsteller (3rd, 165), Kyle Shoop (4th, 141) and Thomas Haines (6th, 285) were Lock Haven's Southern Scuffle placewinners.
• Ronnie Perry (149, No. 20), Marsteller (165, No. 7) and Haines (285, No. 13) appeared in the most recent Intermat rankings.
• Lock Haven leads the all-time series, 18-4, but Bucknell's four victories came in their past six meetings.
• In the most recent meeting on Jan. 21, 2016, the Bison downed the Bald Eagles, 24-13. Paul Petrov (125), Tyler Smith (141) and Rustin Barrick (174) all won by commanding major decisions.
A Look Ahead
• The Bison open a two-game home stand, hosting Harvard (Friday, Jan. 19 at 7 p.m.) and Brown (Saturday, Jan. 20 at 6 p.m.) in Davis Gym.