Setting the Scene
What: Patriot League Championships
When: Saturday, Oct. 28 – Noon
Where: Goodman Campus Cross Country Course (Bethlehem, Pa.) – 6k Course Map
Live Results: LehighSports.com
Bucknell Lineup: Christine Bendzinski, Ashley Blair, Colleen Buckley, Payton Capes, Anna Chiodo-Ortiz, Emma Cousins, Jenna Farmer, Lauren Gronbeck, Madeleine Hunt, Christine O'Kane, Lindsay Schafer, Margaret Thomson.
About the Bison
• Bucknell has won each of the past two Patriot League Women’s Cross Country Championships and has won 10 since the league was formed in 1990.
• Seven of Bucknell’s titles have come under the direction of current head coach Kevin Donner.
• Senior Christine Bendzinski is the defending individual champion and was one of five runners to earn All-Patriot League honors for the Bison last season.
• Junior Colleen Buckley joins Bendzinski as returning All-Patriot League runners for the Bison. She finished fourth out of 109 runners.
• Bucknell has had three or more runners earn All-Patriot League honors in each of the past seven seasons. The Bison have had at least one runner earn the award in 23 of the 26 all-time championship meets.
• Bendzinski will attempt to become the seventh runner in Bucknell history to earn three All-Patriot League accolades in cross country. She would be the first Bison runner to accomplish the feat since Stephanie Fulmer in 2011.
• Bucknell is ranked eighth in the most recent Mid-Atlantic Region rankings. The Bison are the highest of the Patriot League teams in that region. Navy is ranked ninth, Lehigh is 11th, and American is 14th.
• The Bison will compete on Lehigh’s course for the first time since running in the Paul Short Run in October of 2016. Buckley finished 10th in that race, completing the 6k course in 21:34. Anna Chiodo-Ortiz was 15th in 21:54.
Patriot League Championships History
• Bucknell’s 10 Patriot League titles are the most in the conference, while Army West Point is second with five. Navy (4), American (2), Boston University (2), and Fordham (2) have also won multiple titles. Lehigh, Lafayette, and Colgate have won one apiece.
• Twenty-eight runners have earned three or more All-Patriot League honors.
• The Bison’s last two titles were some of the most dominant in league history, winning by an incredible 52 points last season and by 17 points in 2016.
• Boston University was the last team other than Bucknell to win the team title, doing so in both 2013 and 2014. The Terriers and the Bison actually tied in 2014, but it was the first year that a tiebreaker was utilized to determine the outright champion.
Weekly Awards Won by the Bison
• Patriot League Runner of the Week (3) – Christine Bendzinski (9/6, 9/12, 9/25)
• Patriot League Rookie of the Week (3) – Tiara Tardy (9/12), Ashley Blair (9/25), Payton Capes (10/2)
• The Bison will be back at Lehigh for the Mid-Atlantic Regional Championships on Friday, Nov. 10.