CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Bucknell opened the spring season with two losses to a pair of tough opponents Saturday in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. The Bison dropped the season opener to No. 9 North Carolina 6-0 before falling to Wofford 4-1 in the second match.
“We played well against UNC, but they clearly showed why they are the ninth-ranked team in the nation,” said Bruce Myers, who is in his first season as head coach at Bucknell. “It was a great experience for our players and they were able to see first hand the level of play that I hope to be at by the end of the season.”
Junior Max Kane and freshman Max Palmer were playing tough against North Carolina’s Jack Murray and Ronnie Schneider, who are ranked 43rd in the nation. The No. 2 doubles match went unfinished the Bison team down 4-2.
Kane picked up a win in the match against Wofford, defeating Julian Chousa 7-5, 6-3 on court four. Chousa, a freshman, was a top-30 U18 ranked player in Argentina prior to joining the Terriers.
Sophomore Andrei Vitiuc was winning his match against Parks Schoen on court three, but it went unfinished. Vitiuc held a 6-3, 4-6, 4-2 lead over Schoen, a former Southern Conference All-Freshman selection, before the overall match was clinched by the Terriers.
“We struggled a little in the Wofford match,” Myers said. “We lost a couple of close doubles matches, and Palmer cramped while up a set, which sealed the deal. It was a great win by Kane and Vitiuc was just two points away from winning his match. It could have been a 4-3 loss or a 4-3 win, but you have to give Wofford credit. They battled us hard and came through in a really close match.”
Wofford won 7-6 at both first and second doubles.
Bucknell is back in action in Chapel Hill on Sunday when it plays Campbell at noon. The Bison will stay in North Carolina for a match against UNCG on Sunday and will make the trip to Virginia to take on Richmond at VCU the same day.
Wofford 4, Bucknell 1
1/14/2017 at Chapel Hill, N.C. (Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center)
1. Haris Poric (WOFFORD) def. Daniel Wright (BUCKNELL) 6-3, 6-1
2. Lucas Cerbelli (WOFFORD) def. Max Palmer (BUCKNELL) 6-7, 6-6, retired
3. Parks Schoen (WOFFORD) vs. Andrei Vitiuc (BUCKNELL) 3-6, 6-3, 2-5, unfinished
4. Max Kane (BUCKNELL) def. Julian Chousa (WOFFORD) 7-5, 6-3
5. Kyle Barr (WOFFORD) vs. Bryan Adams (BUCKNELL) 3-6, 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
6. Jack Thomas (WOFFORD) def. Max McDonald (BUCKNELL) 6-3, 6-1
1. Haris Poric/Julian Chousa (WOFFORD) def. Daniel Wright/Andrei Vitiuc (BUCKNELL) 7-6 (7-5)
2. Lucas Cerbelli/Trevor Gotkowski (WOFFORD) def. Max Kane/Max Palmer (BUCKNELL) 7-6 (7-5)
3. Parks Schoen/Jack Thomas (WOFFORD) def. Ben Gerber/Max Haase (BUCKNELL) 6-1