LEWISBURG, Pa.  – The Bucknell men’s lacrosse team continued its string of one-goal games to start the season Saturday afternoon at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium. The Bison won their first two games of the 2017 campaign by one goal, but the outcome was reversed Saturday as they lost to Fairfield by a 13-12 score.

Sean O'Brien – who has a team-high 12 goals this year - continued his torrid start to the season with four more goals for Bucknell (2-1), while Will Sands dished out a game-high four assists to go along with two goals.

The Bison trailed the Stags, who are coached by 2003 Bucknell graduate and former lacrosse player Andy Copelan, 11-6 with just over five minutes to play in the third quarter, but proceeded to reel off five consecutive goals to tie the game 11-11 with 6:54 left on O’Brien’s final goal of the contest.

Fairfield (1-1) answered the comeback with a pair of goals to go on top 13-11. Connor O’Hara brought Bucknell back to within 13-12 with 11 seconds to play, but the Stags’ Joe DeLasho won the ensuing faceoff as time expired. He won 16 of his 26 faceoffs, and Fairfield captured 18 of 28 overall in the game.

The Bison dominated the first quarter despite being whistled for three penalties. Bucknell outshot Fairfield 12-3 in the first quarter and held a 2-0 advantage after the first 15 minutes of play. However, the Stags scored the first four goals in the second quarter, and 11 of the next 15 in the game to open up their five-goal lead.

The Bison – who were whistled for the first five penalties in the contest and seven of 10 overall – gave up just one man-up goal, and stopped Fairfield on a two-man advantage in the first half.

Matt Gilray was especially effective defensively for Bucknell, posting 10 ground balls and four caused turnovers. Benny Borgognone registered four ground balls and three caused turnovers.

Christian Klipstein totaled 10 saves in goal for the Bison. He played just over 57 minutes, giving way to Joey Altemus briefly in the second half.

Colin Burke led Fairfield with four goals and two assists for six points, while seven other Stags scored at least one goal. DeLasho matched Gilray with 10 ground balls, and he also scored one goal directly off a faceoff  in the third quarter.

Fairfield goalie Tyler Behring recorded 14 saves against Bucknell’s 51 total shots. The Bison outshot the Stags 51-34, including 30-22 in the second half.

Bucknell will conclude its three-game homestand next Saturday, Feb. 25, when it hosts Colgate at 3 p.m. at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium. It marks the first Patriot League game of the season for the Bison, who own a four-game regular-season winning streak against Patriot League opponents.