LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Bucknell men's lacrosse team squares off against Boston University on Saturday, March 17 at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium.
The opening face-off of this critical Patriot League contest is set for 1 p.m. The Bison and Terriers were picked to finish fourth and fifth respectively in the preseason poll, with a single point separating them.
Boston University (4-3, 0-2 Patriot League) vs. Bucknell (4-2, 2-1 Patriot League)
When: Saturday, March 17 – 1 p.m.
Where: Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium – Lewisburg, Pa.
Internet Video: Patriot League Network
Live Stats: BucknellBison.com
Follow on Twitter: @Bucknell_MLAX
Bucknell at a Glance
• The Bison men's lacrosse team is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2018. Established in 1968, the program has compiled a 364-348 all-time record with Sid Jamieson (1968-2005) and Frank Fedorjaka (2006-present) at the helm.
• Bucknell is 4-2 (2-1 Patriot League) on the season. The Bison received votes in this week's USILA Coaches' Poll and Inside Lacrosse Maverik Media Listing.
• In 2017, Bucknell went 5-8 (3-5 Patriot League), coming up a single game short of qualifying for its 11th-straight Patriot League Tournament.
• The Bison, who finished tied for seventh in the Patriot League a year ago, were picked to place fourth in the 2018 preseason poll, as voted on by the league’s coaches and sports information directors.
• Bucknell returns four All-Patriot League selections in Matt Gilray (2nd '17, '16), Christian Klipstein (2nd '17, '16), Sean O'Brien (1st '17) and Will Sands (1st '17, 2nd '16). All four were voted to the 2018 Preseason All-Patriot League team, giving the Bison the league-high total.
• Sands was named to the 2018 Tewaaraton Watch List on March 1. The senior, who was previously recognized on the 2017 list, was one of 50 men's lacrosse players to make this year's iteration.
• Bucknell's captains are seniors Sands, Gilray, O'Brien and Benny Borgognone.
• Fedorjaka, who is in his 13th season as head coach, owns a 115-72 record. In Patriot League action, he has gone 52-31, leading the Bison to perfect 6-0 records in 2009 and 2011.
Boston University at a Glance
• Boston University is currently 4-3 (0-2 Patriot League).
• In the 2018 Patriot League preseason poll, Boston University was picked to finish fifth. The Terriers received a single point less than fourth-place Bucknell.
• The Terriers went 12-5 (5-3 Patriot League) in 2017, placing third in the Patriot League. They ultimately fell to Army West Point, 10-7, in the Patriot League semifinals.
• Boston University fell to Colgate, 16-9, in its most recent game on March 10. The Raiders became the fourth team to hold the Terriers under 10 goals.
• Chris Gray (11g-13a) and James Burr (17g-5a) are Boston University's first players to reach the 20-point plateau. As of March 14, Gray is tied for sixth nationally among freshmen in points per game (3.43).
• Joe McSorley owns a 9.73 goals against average and a .538 save percentage; he also leads the Terriers in ground balls (20) while Isaac Lipton has paced the team in caused turnovers (11).
The Bucknell/Boston University Series
• Bucknell holds a 3-1 series lead in the battle of BUs. The teams first met in 2014, Boston University's first season in the Patriot League.
• The Bison have topped the Terriers in their past two contests.
• Last season, Bucknell stunned then No. 15/16 Boston University at Nickerson Field. The Terriers entered the game an unbeaten 7-0, but the Bison outscored them, 6-1, in the second half to earn a 12-6 victory.
• Will Sands (Offensive Player of the Week) and Christian Klipstein (Goalkeeper of the Week) captured Patriot League weekly laurels for their performance at Boston University. Sands had a hand in half of Bucknell's goals (3g-3a) while Klipstein made a season-high 16 saves.
Will Sands Reaches 200-Point Threshold
• With one goal and three assists at Holy Cross on March 10, Will Sands became the third Bison to record 200 points over the course of his career. He now boasts 93 goals and 107 assists.
• Sands joined elite company in Chris Cara (2002-05, 249 points) and Pete von Hoffmann (1976-79, 220 points). Both are members of the Bucknell Athletics Hall of Fame.
Bison in the NCAA Top 10 (as of March 14)
• Will Sands: Tied for second in assists (21)
• Will Sands: Fourth in assists per game (3.50)
• Will Sands: Tied for sixth in points (32) - one of only 12 with at least 30 to date
• Will Sands: Tied for eighth in points per game (5.33)
• Goals: Sean O'Brien (17)
• Assists: Will Sands (21)
• Points: Will Sands (32)
• Shots: Sean O'Brien (63)
• Ground balls: Matt Gilray (17)
• Caused turnovers: Lukas Munoz (6)
• Face-off wins: Jarett Witzal (61)
• Face-off percentage: Jarett Witzal (.455)
• Save Percentage: Ben Clark (.586)
• Goals Against Average: Ben Clark (7.61)
• Saves: Christian Klipstein (39)
Career Milestones Met at Holy Cross
• Will Sands: Became the third Bison to record 200 points; now has 200 (93g-107a)
Career Milestone Watch
• Matt Gilray: Needs one ground ball to crack Bucknell’s top 10 with 139
• Christian Klipstein: Needs 38 saves to crack Bucknell’s top 10 with 375
• Sean O'Brien: Needs 47 shots to crack Bucknell’s top five with 279
• Will Sands: Needs one goal to move to ninth with 94; needs four to move to eighth with 97
• Will Sands: Needs 10 assists to move to fourth with 117
• Will Sands: Needs 25 shots to crack Bucknell’s top five with 279
• Jarett Witzal: Needs three ground balls to move to eighth (144); needs five to move to seventh (146)
• Jarett Witzal: Needs 60 face-off wins to claim the school record from Jake Clarke (422)
• Jarett Witzal: Needs 102 face-off attempts to claim the school record from Jake Clarke (750)
A Look Ahead
• After facing Penn at Episcopal Academy in Newtown Square, Pa. on Tuesday, March 20, the Bison resume Patriot League action at preseason favorite Loyola on Saturday, March 24.