PHILADELPHIA – Simon Mathias found the back of the net with two seconds remaining in regulation to lift No. 15/16 Penn to a 9-8 victory over the Bucknell men's lacrosse team on Tuesday night in the Dunning-Cohen Champions Field seasonal air structure.

Mathias, who also registered five assists, capped a wild, back-and-forth game with his diving goal. The Quakers (5-3, 1-0 Ivy League) and Bison (5-3, 3-1 Patriot League) were tied seven times and exchanged leads four times over the course of the contest.

Entering the final frame, Penn held a slim 7-6 lead. After Connor O'Hara completed his hat trick to draw Bucknell even with 9:07 on the clock, Will Sands came from behind the goal to beat Reed Junkin at the 5:45 mark.

Thirty eight seconds later, Adam Goldner netted his fourth goal of the game to even the score at 8-8. Following Goldner's strike, Christian Klipstein denied Kevin McGeary with 3:52 left to play to get the Bison the ball back. They ultimately failed to capitalize on their possession, and the Quakers took over with 1:40 remaining.

Penn held the largest lead of the game, a 3-1 edge, at the 1:38 mark of the opening stanza. After Tommy Sopko made it a 3-2 game with 17 seconds left on the clock in that frame, neither team would manage to build more than a single goal of separation.

Bucknell was led offensively by O'Hara (3g) and Sands (2g-2a). With his pair of goals, Sands now needs just two to become the sixth Bison to net 100 in his career.

Klipstein stopped nine shots, including four in the fourth quarter. Jarett Witzal collected a team-best four ground balls while Lukas Munoz and Matt Gilray each caused a turnover.

The Bison held advantages in shots (30-27) and ground balls (20-17). They split the face-off battle with the Quakers, with Witzal winning 10 of 20.

Mathias (1g-5a), Goldner (4g) and McGeary (2g-1a) drove the Penn offense. Junkin finished with five saves while three Quakers collected two ground balls.

Bucknell's game at Penn was originally set to take place at 4 p.m. at Franklin Field. It was moved to 7 p.m. at the Dunning-Cohen Champions Field seasonal air structure due to weather.

The Bison next travel to No. 6/6 Loyola, the two-time defending Patriot League champion, for a game on Saturday, March 24 at 1 p.m.