LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Bucknell wrestling team returns to Davis Gym this weekend to host EIWA foes Harvard and Brown.
After taking on the Crimson on Friday at 7 p.m., the Bison will square off against the Bears on Saturday at 6 p.m. Admission to both duals is free.
Following the Harvard dual, Bucknell will host a social at The Towne Tavern at 9 p.m. The event will be held in the back room, not the shanty where past socials took place.
Projected Bucknell Lineup
125: Geo Barzona (6-9)
133: David Campbell (1-13) OR Joey Gould (0-3)
141: No. 14/12/14 Tyler Smith (16-3)
149: Matthew Kolonia (12-9) OR Seth Hogue (8-14)
157: Andrew Millsap (0-5) OR Christian Bassolino (3-14)
165: D.J. Hollingshead (11-9)
174: Nick Stephani (8-11)
184: Drew Phipps (13-8), Collin Boylan (--) OR Kyle Inlander (11-11)
197: Chad Reese (0-2) OR Joe Scott (0-6)
285: Brandon Stokes (8-9)
Projected Harvard Lineup
125: Nolan Hellickson (11-5) OR Lukus Stricker (5-10)
133: Sam Goldman (4-2) OR Ryan Friedman (5-10)
141: A.J. Jaffe (16-7) OR Trevor Tarsi (2-8)
149: Hunter Ladnier (8-8)
157: Brock Wilson (11-9)
165: Tyler Tarsi (7-6) OR Peter Bearse (1-5)
174: Josef Johnson (17-7)
184: Kanon Dean (17-9)
197: Logan Kirby (3-2) OR Clifton Wang (0-1)
285: Angus Cowell (11-9)
Projected Brown Lineup
125: Trey Keeley (8-11)
133: Nick Lattanze (6-2) OR Hunter Kosco (8-7)
141: Jimmy Pawelski (7-13) OR Zeke Salvo (6-7)
149: Zach Krause (12-9) OR Charlie Banaszak (2-2)
157: Justin Staudenmayer (15-7)
165: Jon Viruet (14-7) OR Bryce Rogers (11-9)
174: A.J. Pedro (10-7) OR Christian LaBrie (1-2)
184: No. 16/16/- C.J. LaFragola (9-4) OR Nino Bastianelli (8-7)
197: Tucker Ziegler (9-8) OR Austin Pfarr (3-6)
285: Ian Butterbrodt (9-10)
Note: 2017-18 record in parentheses; rankings are Intermat/The Open Mat/FloWrestling
Bucknell at a Glance
• The Bison are currently 1-8 (0-2 EIWA). This weekend's duals will be their first at home since they topped Pitt on Dec. 17.
• Bucknell most recently participated in the Virginia Duals on Jan. 12. There, the Bison fell to Oklahoma, Fresno State and No. 20 Lock Haven in the highly competitive York River Pool.
• Tyler Smith went a perfect 3-0 at the Virginia Duals; in all three of his victories at 141, he registered bonus points, scoring one by fall, one by technical fall and one by major decision.
• Brandon Stokes, who started the year at 174, went 2-1 for Bucknell at heavyweight. His 9-4 win over Oklahoma's Marquise Overton was his first in a dual meet; he later downed Lock Haven's Derek Dragon, 13-1, to pick up his first career major decision victory.
• Smith is now 94-34 in his collegiate career. He ranks 10th in Bucknell history in career wins and 11th in career winning percentage (.734).
• With six victories, Smith will become the 10th Bison to reach the 100-win plateau.
• Smith, who is a perfect 8-0 in dual action, leads the team with 16 wins. He also boasts a team-best five victories by major decision.
• Matthew Kolonia, who is projected to move up to the 149-pound weight class this weekend, leads Bucknell with five pins; he, Smith and Drew Phipps are the only Bison who have won by fall, technical fall and major decision during the 2017-18 campaign.
• Twenty one different Bison have started in dual competition this season. Of that group, only Seth Hogue (149) has started every match at his respective weight class. Smith (141), Nick Stephani (174) and Phipps (184/197) have started during all but one match to date.
• Tyler Smith checks in at No. 14, 12 and 14 respectively in the most recent Intermat, The Open Mat and FloWrestling rankings.
Harvard at a Glance
• The Crimson is currently 2-0 (0-0 EIWA) on the season. Harvard's schedule has mostly featured tournaments to date.
• The Crimson began dual competition on Jan. 13 and 14 by coming from behind to edge both Stanford (21-20) and Maryland (22-21) by a single point.
• Harvard leads the all-time series with Bucknell, 3-2-1.
• In the most recent meeting on Jan. 21, 2017, the Bison dispatched the Crimson, 24-16, in Cambridge, Mass. Drew Phipps (184), Tom Sleigh (197) and Tyler Greene (285) won three-straight bouts to close the match, erasing a 16-12 deficit in the process.
Brown at a Glance
• The Bears are currently 0-3 (0-1 EIWA) on the season. Brown's schedule has mostly featured tournaments to date.
• The Bears kicked off dual competition on Jan. 13 and 14 by falling to Stanford (18-13), American (18-17) and Maryland (19-16) by slim margins. Brown was tied with American, 17-17, at the conclusion of their heavyweight bout; the Eagles were awarded the win by tiebreaker criteria D: total near fall points scored only from decisions, major decisions and technical falls.
• Bucknell leads the all-time series with Brown, 9-2, and has won the past eight matches.
• In the most recent dual on Jan. 22, 2017, the Bison downed the Bears, 25-15, in Providence, R.I. Seven Bison won their bouts, with Joey Gould (133), Tyler Smith (141) and Victor Lopez (157) earning bonus points.
A Look Ahead
• The Bison next hit the road to face Penn (12 p.m.) and Columbia (7 p.m.) on Saturday, Jan. 27.