Setting the Scene
What: Bucknell at Cleveland State Open
When: Saturday, Dec. 17, 9 a.m.
Where: Woodling Gym, Cleveland State University
Live Results: TrackWrestling.com
About the Bison
- Bucknell will be participating in its fifth consecutive road event to start the season. The Bison opened the campaign with duals against No. 1 Oklahoma State and No. 12 Lehigh, and have followed with tournament competitions at the Navy Classic and Cliff Keen Invitational.
- This is the first time Bucknell has competed at the Cleveland State Open as a team. The Bison did square off with Cleveland State in a dual in December 2008, winning by a 32-15 score.
- Bucknell’s most recent competition was at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational two weeks ago. The Bison finished in 20th place in the competitive field, while Victor Lopez (4th at 157) and Tom Sleigh (7th at 197) were placewinners.
- Junior Tyler Smith, senior Victor Lopez and junior Tom Sleigh appear in various national rankings at their weight classes this week. Smith and Sleigh are expected to wrestle on Saturday, while Lopez is not expected to be in the Bison lineup.
- After a 6-2 performance at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational, Lopez leads Bucknell in wins this season with 11. He now has 91 victories in his four-year career, placing him 10th on the program’s all-time list. Drew Phipps and Sleigh are tied for second on the team with eight wins apiece this year.
Projected Bucknell Wrestlers
125: Jordan Gessner (3-6)
133: Ben Bliss (1-4), Zach Firestone (3-4), Joey Gould (1-4)
141: No. 18/16/16 Tyler Smith (7-4), Kyle Greene (0-2)
149: Seth Hogue (3-5), David Kelly (0-2)
157: Collin Boylan (2-4), Christian Bassolino (2-4), Joey Krulock (1-2)
165: Logan Kerin (2-6), D.J. Hollingshead (5-6), Mitch Hartman (2-2)
174: Kyle Inlander (4-7), Chad Reese (0-4), Nick Stephani (2-4), Brandon Stokes (5-6), Jarek Gozdieski (2-6), Joe Scott (2-6)
184: Garrett Hoffman (7-6), Drew Phipps (8-5)
197: No. 18/13/18 Tom Sleigh (8-4), Rory Bonner (1-2)
285: Tyler Greene (3-5)
Note: 2016-17 record in parentheses; Rankings are Intermat/TheOpenMat/FloWrestling.
The Cleveland State Open marks the final event for the Bison until they host EIWA foe Franklin & Marshall on Jan. 10 in Davis Gym. Bucknell is 14-21-1 all-time against the Diplomats, but has won six of the last seven meetings, including the last two by a commanding 66-9 score.