Setting the Scene
What: Harry Groves Spiked Shoe Invitational
When: Friday, Sept. 8 – 10 a.m.
Where: Blue-White Golf Course (University Park, Pa.)
Teams: Bucknell, Edinboro, Georgetown, Penn State, Pitt, Syracuse, West Virginia
About the Bison
• Bucknell opened the season by winning the team title at the Bison Open last weekend. The Bison took the top seven spots in a race that featured 67 runners from five teams.
• The Bison were led by race winner Christine Bendzinski and runner-up Tiara Tardy. Bendzinski was named the Patriot League Female Runner of the Week while Tardy earned Patriot League Female Rookie of the Week recognition.
• Finishing third through seventh for Bucknell were junior Jenna Farmer, junior Colleen Buckley, freshman Ashley Blair, freshman Madeleine Hunt, and junior Anna Chiodo-Ortiz.
• Dating back to last season, Bucknell has won two straight Patriot League Runner of the Week awards, both by Bendzinski, and have won four of the past seven honors.
• Bucknell has won at least one Patriot League weekly award – either Runner or Rookie of the Week – every year since 2005. The Rookie of the Week Award began in 2007.
Quote (Head Coach Kevin Donner)
• "Although it is still early in the season, I see this as a huge test for our program with some nationally-ranked programs as well as teams that are ranked high in the region. It will include five of the top seven schools from last year's Mid-Atlantic Regional meet. Syracuse is also receiving some national votes. We expect a very intense meet."
Bucknell at the Spiked Shoe Invitational
• Bucknell last competed at the Spiked Shoe Invitational in 2013. The Bison finished second behind Penn State in the five-team field. They finished ahead of Pittsburgh, Mount St. Mary’s, and West Virginia.
Weekly Awards Won by the Bison
• Patriot League Runner of the Week – Christine Bendzinski (9/6)
• Patriot League Rookie of the Week – Tiara Tardy (9/6)
• The Bison will travel to Earlysville, Va., for the Panorama Farms Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 23.