Setting the Scene
What: Virginia/Panorama Farms Invitational
When: Saturday, Sept. 23 – 10 a.m.
Where: Panorama Farms – 5k (Earlysville, Va.)
Live Results: FlashResults.com
Teams: Bucknell, Charlotte, Clemson, Hampton, High Point, Loyola (Md.), Northeastern, SMU, Virginia, William & Mary, No. 29 Yale – SMU and Virginia are receiving votes in the national poll
Bucknell Runners Competing: Christine Bendzinski, Ashley Blair, Colleen Buckley, Payton Capes, Anna Chiodo-Ortiz, Jenna Farmer, Lauren Gronbeck, Madeleine Hunt, Christine O’Kane, Tiara Tardy
About the Bison
• Bucknell is set to compete for the third time this season after a two-week break since its last meet.
• The Bison last competed at the Spiked Shoe Invitational hosted by Penn State, which included the No. 11 Nittany Lions and No. 26 Georgetown in the seven-team field. Also competing were Syracuse and West Virginia, which were both receiving votes in the national poll.
• Senior Christine Bendzinski was named the Patriot League Female Runner of the Week after taking seventh out of 87 runners. It was the third straight weekly honor for Bendzinski dating back to last season.
• Joining Bendzinski in the top 20 at Penn State were Jenna Farmer in 17th and Colleen Buckley in 20th.
• Bucknell opened the season by winning the Bison Open. Bendzinski won the race, while freshman Tiara Tardy finished second. Tardy was named the Patriot League Female Rookie of the Week.
• Bucknell is ranked ninth in the Mid-Atlantic Region, with Temple, Navy, and George Washington taking the next three spots.
Quote (Head Coach Kevin Donner)
“We have had a solid two-week training cycle, and I believe we are ready to mix it up with some of the top teams at this weekend’s meet. Four of our eight runners making the trip are freshmen, and this will be a great test for them. Our veterans have been looking good, as well.”
Last Year at the Virginia/Panorama Farms Invitational
• Bucknell finished seventh out of 13 teams. The Bison were the top Patriot League team, beating American and Loyola (Md.).
• No. 19 BYU took first, while Clemson and Charlotte finished second and third.
• Christine Bendzinski is Bucknell’s top returning finisher, taking 16th out of 126 runners. Jenna Farmer was 44th, and Lauren Gronbeck took 54th.
Weekly Awards Won by the Bison
• Patriot League Runner of the Week (2) – Christine Bendzinski (9/6, 9/12)
• Patriot League Rookie of the Week (1) – Tiara Tardy (9/12)
• Bucknell will compete at the Dickinson Long/Short Invitational in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, on Saturday, Sept. 30.