Setting the Scene
(Friday, Oct. 13 – 11:30 a.m.)
What: Penn State National Open
Where: Blue-White Golf Course (University Park, Pa.) – 5.2 mile course
Teams: Akron, Bucknell, Cornell, Duquesne, Kent State, Lehigh, Loyola (Md.), North Carolina, Oklahoma State, Penn State, UC Davis, Villanova, William & Mary.
(Saturday, Oct. 14 – 10 a.m.)
What: Leopard Invitational
Where: Metzger Field (Easton, Pa.) – 8k course
About the Bison
• Bucknell will run at the Blue-White Golf Course for the second time this season when it takes part in the Penn State National Open. The Bison competed against numerous nationally-ranked teams at the Spiked Shoe Invitational earlier this season.
• Senior Will Bordash was Bucknell’s top runner at the Spiked Shoe Invitational, taking 12th out of 57 runners. Sophomore Drew Dorflinger was four spots behind him in 16th.
• The Bison last competed at the Dickinson Long-Short Invitational on Sept. 30. They won the title in a field of 14 teams. Dorflinger led the Bison with a first-place finish out of 148 runners in the 4k race. Sophomore Jacob Stupak joined him in the top 10 with a fifth-place finish.
• Freshman Michael Bortolot was Bucknell’s top runner in the 8k race at Dickinson, taking fourth out of 152 runners. Sophomores Trent Rose and Ben Siciliano finished 10th and 11th, respectively.
• Bucknell will also send runners to the Leopard Invitational at Lafayette on Saturday.
• The Penn State National Open and the Leopard Invitational are Bucknell’s final two events before the Patriot League Championships on Saturday, Oct. 28. This year’s league meet will be hosted by Lehigh, as will the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional.
• Bucknell is ranked sixth in the Mid-Atlantic Region.
Quote (Head Coach Kevin Donner) “We are very excited about this race and looking forward to the opportunity to race some great teams on a great cross country course. We are getting closer and closer to full strength after having a lot of adversity in August and September with injuries and sickness. The guys have shown great patience and persistence, and we are excited about step one towards the championship meets in the next few weeks. We still have some work to do.”
About the Penn State National Open
• Bucknell will compete at the Penn State National Open for the second straight year. The Bison finished 12th out of 16 teams last season.
• Oklahoma State won last year’s event and was followed in the team standings by Mississippi, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Texas, and Penn State.
• Drew Dorflinger finished 69th out of 144 runners. Other current team members to run at the event last year were Will Bordash (70th), Jacob Stupak (78th), and Chad Sussman (84th).
About the Leopard Open
• Bucknell will compete at the Leopard Invitational for the second straight year. The Bison finished fifth out of seven teams last season.
• Lehigh won the team title, while Temple and Saint Joseph’s followed in second and third.
• Kyle Adams was Bucknell’s top runner last year, taking seventh out of 86 runners.
Weekly Awards Won by the Bison
• Patriot League Rookie of the Week – Michael Bortolot (9/12)
• Bucknell will travel to Lehigh for the Patriot League Championships on Saturday, Oct. 28.