LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Bucknell women’s track and field team earned a pair of Patriot League weekly awards for the week of December 3. Sarah Chandler was named M-F Athletic Patriot League Indoor Female Track Athlete of the Week, while Kaitlin Salisbury was selected M-F Athletic Patriot League Indoor Female Rookie of the Week.
At the Bison Opener, Chandler won the individual title in the 3,000-meter run, completing the race in 9:54.99. Her mark was an ECAC-qualifying time and a top-10 program performance.
In her collegiate debut, Salisbury set the school record in the 60m. In the prelims of the event, Salisbury clocked a time of 7.62, breaking the previous mark of 7.74 set by Jess Bridle in 2016. In the final heat, she finished the race in 7.70, winning the individual title.
It was one of two first-place finishes for the freshman, as she won the 200m race with a time of 25.64, a top-10 program mark.
Setting the Scene
What: Tri-Meet (vs. UMBC and Saint Francis [Pa.])
When: Saturday, January 7
Where: Gerhard Fieldhouse – Lewisburg, Pa.
About the Bison/Last Time Out
* The Bison are set to host their second of five indoor home meets.
* Bucknell returns to action after competing in the Bison Opener on Dec. 2-3, winning nine individual events.
* Bucknell’s freshmen class accounted for five of the nine individual victories. In addition to Salisbury, Ella Schultz, Taylor Kennedy and Margaret Sliney each posted wins.
* Schultz finished first in the shot put, recording a toss of 44-11 ½, etching her name onto Bucknell’s top-10 list.
* Kennedy won the 300m race, crossing the finish line in 42.57.
* Sliney qualified for the ECACs in her collegiate debut, winning the 500m with a time of 1:16.78.
* Carly Reiner won the triple jump with a leap of 38-4, a new personal-record and top-10 program mark.
* Kafilat Oladiran (60m hurdles) and Emma Harris (800m) each posted a victory in their respective event.
* Bucknell and Boston University finished in a tie atop the Patriot League Women’s Track and Field Preseason.
* Saturday will serve as the season opening meet for the Retrievers.
* UMBC finished fourth at last year’s America East Indoor Championships.
Scouting St. Francis (Pa.)
* The Red Flash return to Lewisburg after competing in the Bison Opener.
* Taylor Thurnherr was the only athlete on the women’s team to earn a top-three finish at the meet, finishing second in the pole vault.
* The Bison return to action Jan. 14 to compete in the Nittany Lion Challenge, the first of two trips to Penn State during the indoor season.