Setting the Scene
What: Bucknell (23-15, 6-6 PL) at Holy Cross (9-25, 4-8 PL)
When: Saturday, April 29 – Noon (DH); Sunday, April 30 – Noon
Where: Freshman Field (Worcester, Mass.)
Live Video: Patriot League Network
Live Stats: GoHolyCross.com
About the Bison
• Bucknell (23-15, 6-6 PL) enters the series looking to put some separation between itself and Holy Cross in the Patriot League Standings. Bucknell currently has the last spot in the top four, with the Crusaders just two games behind.
• The Bison will hope to break out of its recent five-game losing streak, after dropping two games to Penn State and getting swept in a league series against Army West Point.
• The Bucknell offense was held to just one run in three games against Army, but the pitching staff managed to limit the Black Knights to 11 runs overall. Meghan Kovac and Christina Martinez were the only Bison with two or more hits.
• In the circle, Raeanne Geffert allowed two runs through six innings of work in the first game of day one, while Lauren Lichtenwalner pitched 5.2 innings of relief with just one run and four hits allowed in the second game of the day.
• Over the course of the season, the Bison pitching staff has done a good job of limiting opposing offenses. Geffert, Lichtenwalner, and Lara Bean have combined to lead the Patriot League in ERA (2.29), batting average against (.234), and extra-base hits allowed (62).
• Kovac leads the team with a .378 batting average, 45 hits, five home runs, 35 RBIs, and a .580 slugging percentage. Kovac's .378 batting average is second in the conference, and close behind are Lauren Hadley (.355) and Anna Gimmestad (.344).
• Gimmestad and Hadley have combined for 59 runs scored on the season.
• Geffert has picked up 14 wins in her 27 appearances, leading the team with a 2.16 ERA. Bean has limited hitters to a .226 batting average, and Lichtenwalner has allowed just 11 walks in 43.1 innings of work.
Scouting Holy Cross
• Holy Cross is 9-25 overall and 4-8 in the Patriot League entering the weekend, sitting in fifth place in the conference.
• After losing four in a row to Lehigh and Maine, the Crusaders rebounded by winning two of three against Colgate last weekend.
• Mandy McCarthy leads the team with a .354 batting average, Taylor Moss has a team-high 21 RBIs, and Taylor Wahler's 18 runs scored are most on the squad.
• Alexandra Held has earned seven of the nine wins for Holy Cross, striking out 65 batters and pitching five complete games.
• The Crusaders bring a team ERA of 5.79 and a batting average of .265.
Series History with Holy Cross
• Bucknell leads the all-time series 59-33, dating back to 1991. The 59 wins are its second-most against any team behind Lafayette (77).
• The Bison have won 13 of their past 16 games against the Crusaders. Holy Cross last won a series against the Bison in 2003.
• Last season, Bucknell won two of three in Lewisburg, opening with 5-3 and 5-1 victories before falling 5-4 in the third game of the series.
• The Bison will close the regular season when it hosts Boston University for a three-game series on May 6-7.