Setting The Scene
What: 2017 Alex Lagowitz Memorial Invitational, hosted by Colgate
When: Saturday-Sunday, Sept. 9-10 (54 holes)
Where: Par-72, 6,834-yard Seven Oaks GC, Hamilton, N.Y.
The Field: 15 teams (Binghamton, Bucknell, Colgate, Cornell, Delaware, Fairleigh Dickinson, La Salle, Lafayette, Lehigh, North Dakota State, Pennsylvania, Rider, Seton Hall, St. Bonaventure, St. Joseph's)
Live Stats: GolfStat.com
About the Bison
• Raftery was in contention after 36 holes last week at Turning Stone. In miserable weather conditions to start the event he opened with rounds of 77-71 to sit T-7th overnight. But he closed with an 82 to slip to 24th place. Raftery's 230 total was still the best on the team, two shots better than O'Brien, whose final-round 74 was the best on the squad. Bucknell shot 326-308-304 as a team.
• Raftery returns after finishing second at both the 2016 and 2017 Patriot League Championship. His 204 (67-68-69) at last year's PL Championship was the lowest ever by a Bison, and he shattered the team scoring record with a 72.0 average for the full 2016-17 season.
• Early is also a returning All-Patriot League selection. He finished T-7th last year with rounds of 67-73-72, helping the Bison to a third-place team finish.
• Bradbeer and Tanabe both had very successful summers on the golf course. Bradbeer won the Patterson Cup at Wilmington Country Club, and his low aggregate between that event and the BMW Philadelphia Open have him the prestigious Silver Cross. He also shot 70-70-78 and made the cut at the Pennsylvania Open. Meanwhile, Tanabe was runner-up by one stroke at the Pennsylvania Junior Championship at Hershey Country Club.
Bucknell at the Alex Lagowitz Memorial Invitational
• Bucknell has competed in Colgate's fall tournament every year since 2002 (except for 2011, when the event was rained out). Prior to 2002, Colgate and Cornell ran a combined event for several years, utilizing both schools' courses.
• The Bison have fared well in this event, winning it in 2004 and 2006 while finishing in the top four in 11 of 14 years. Brian Bartow is Bucknell's lone individual champion here. He won the Colgate Invitational in 2009.
• Last year Bucknell finished sixth in a field of 13 teams, posting team scores of 308-303-301. Raftery (74-72-74) finished T-5th. Bradbeer, playing as an individual, shot 76-71-74 and finished T-8th.
• Bucknell makes it three straight weeks in the state of New York, as it travels to Ithaca for the Colgate Invitational next Saturday and Sunday.